Edson ED-3

Screenshot right from Blender, almost finished. Btw for inspiration I am using Ben Procter’s sketch of Shack Airlock (available on his site).

(Ben Procter > Concept Art Director for Avatar movie)

Attachments

I am in awe of your work Eduard. The level of detail in this work is enough to make someones head spin…
You have a talent for 3d and I have no doubt you will make a name for yourself in this industry.
How long have you been doing 3d modeling?
Have you done any formal training with 3D or are you self-taught?
Do you just use Blender or also mainstream software(3ds max, maya, etc…)?

Anyway, fantastic progress on this model. Can’t wait to see this completely textured and in a finished scene.
Happy Blending my friend.

Polygobblerr

Best model I’ve ever seen in Blender.

Thank you very much for such a beautiful words guys, both of you. I appreciate that very much.

And about your questions polygobblerr, I started learning Blender (and whole CG) five years ago. Few contacts with CG was there when I was child, but I have been too young to understand. Actually, I think Avatar movie start all of this, when I saw that movie for first time, I was sure that I want to be CG Artist, and creating stuffs like that.

Self-taught, I even dont watching tutorials very much, well, only by Andrew Price. But that is because he have nice voice. :slight_smile:

I tried those programs, but I find Blender is perfect for me, there is nothing that Blender can’t do. I am little surprised that Blender is not used more widely, in industry. But, its their shame.

Anyway, here is another render of Airlock, very close to finished state.

Attachments

1 Like

Wow so you started about the same time I did then. Avatar was great in terms of CG. That movie gave me some inspiration as well to go on the path of 3d modeling as well as countless other CG movies emerging at the time.

Andrew Price makes the best videos by far, and yes I agree! he does have a nice voice. There is something about that Australian accent that just draws you in and keeps you listening… Andrew’s Spell lol.

That is both surprising and good to hear that you like Blender more. It seems strange at first when you think about Blender and why it hasn’t gone mainstream but I think the reason is this:
Blender is full of Fan-boys and amateurs. When you have a free software like Blender, it attracts anyone with access to a computer and the internet. In today’s day and age, that’s almost everyone. As a result, we get in large part a community of people who just use the program for fun and as a hobby.

In the last year alone I have seen some amazing work come from users on this forum. Blender is slowly and surely being recognized as a powerful tool fully capable of creating high quality models and photorealistic renders - Thanks to Cycles.
I can’t wait to see what the future of Blender will be like. :slight_smile:

Okay, I’v completed my rant. Back to the artwork.

Nice job on that airlock. Just out of curiousity, how many polys does it have? (without subdivison)

polygobblerr - Totally agree with everything you wrote!

Thank you, funny thing about whole Link Shack is, it doesn’t have subdivision at all. Just beveled edges, and then manually corected. So what you see here is pure mesh without any modifiers. The reason is, I want to make it midpoly. And it have something about 150 000 polys so far.

impressive work !!

Just read the thread from end to end. Quite inspirational! Keep it up.

No subdivision?!? This is blasphemy!!! :ba:

polygobblerr - Oh my, I hope it was meant as compliment. :slight_smile:

Also thanks for the kind words guys, much appreciated.

It was meant as a joke, and a compliment indeed. Many people use subdivision to add detail to models, and I was surprised when you told me there was no subdivisions on the mesh. That’s all. :slight_smile:

polygobblerr - Oh I see, ok then. Well thank you. :slight_smile:

And of course another render. Just a basic construction of some platform.

Attachments

Nice progress!

Just a question on practicability, is the shack meant to be build as a permanent structure or something temporary? The bottom of the structure makes it look like something permanent because they would need to excavate the ground to get it even.

DCBloodHound - Thank you. Indeed the main idea of Link Shack is mobility, but this one is special. You know, it will be in good area, and it is meant to be as some basic little outpost. So yes, permanent, with concrete foundations.

Another new renders.

Attachments

The previous renders has horrible effects, I will not do that again.

But here some “concept”, of door terminal. For opening door you will need special identification card and type correct password. Display is touchscreen and waterproof.

Attachments

Time for update. So here is finished terminal, I suppose. Pretty lowpoly, only 3511 polys. Hope you like it.

Attachments

This thread is approaching clinically insane. I love it! How much longer do you reckon it will take? I can hardly wait. Can’t even begin to imagine the patience it takes to model at this level of detail. You, sir, are a legend!

Thank you so much P3nT4gR4m! I would like to finish this whole project in 2017, probably in autumn. But who knows. :slight_smile:

Very early version of air cooler, with basic texture, and wireframe aswell.

Attachments