EEVEE Development updates ( EEVEE-Next )

What does this have to do with Eevee though, as Eevee is a rendering engine and is all about visuals. What you are talking about is actually related to Geometry Nodes (in particular Simulation Nodes, which I am aware can drive materials and can drive them already through attributes, but that does not make it about Eevee development).

VAT is shader trick that works purley on shaders and have noting to do with geometry nodes

edit:
I mean you can do it via geometry nodes, but thats just defeats purpose of being only GPU side trick via vertex shader.

3 Likes

Yeah, I like this idea very much, almost nanite like, but for animation.

Emm, kinda yes, but not really.

It is essentially super simple technique. It only requires vertex offset, one UV channel and few lines of code.

Look at article that BluePrintRandom posted. It’s essentially full VAT implementation tutorial.
https://medium.com/tech-at-wildlife-studios/texture-animation-techniques-1daecb316657

Cause Blender does not have GPU skinning, armature modifier is very slow so below seems impressing:

But it have large limitations - cause its baked mesh deformation to texture. But we use it in gamedev cause it allows having cheap simple animations.
So i don’t really see that average Blender user would use that often.

Eg. Usage example:

Object Animation in Satisfactory cause they are really simple, and there are A LOT of those objects: (i guess - i didnt worked on that or checked in files)
황산_유량_체크_2

Or destructables in Chivalry 2:
https://www.youtube.com/live/hE-lA5W4hNo?si=KxLGuzqsnEUM6qon&t=2029

10 Likes

Playing with light in Nvidia’s attic scene.

Left: EEVEE Next, right: Cycles

As you can see it struggles a bit in the populated area back there, even with 1GB of shadow pool size. While the tested GPU (2060 Super 8GB) is not a high-end with big vram, I “feel” this is not really about the GPU or vram. (The scene uses under 4GB of vram. FYI I quartered the textures so they are kind to my GPU.) I guess there is more work to be done with optimization.

19 Likes

Is Evee Next all black except for emissives for anyone else even in shaded view?

3090 and fairly updated drivers here…

Scene lights is on?

No, when I enable that I get lights. Is it just a case of viewport shading perhaps not working with the built-in environment maps yet?

@eobet Toggling Scene World helped fix that issue for me. Alternatively switching renderers. The lighting sometimes just fails to load properly, so you need to reset it to get it back up running.

2 Likes

Thanks, that was it!

Interesting how everything turns really soft as if subsurface scattering on everything…

Compared to with the rendered Eevee Next view:

And finally regular Eevee shaded view:

Guess it’s alpha for a reason. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ah yeah… it’s buggy af… sometimes I have to check/uncheck the “scene world” checkbox several times and refresh the viewport for it to work…

I must say Eevee next is looking good. I just love to download the alpha and see if something has happened. Like a kinder surprise.

EEVEE- Next dev said that this issue is going to be fixed next week… :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Volume rendering with mesh boundary is here. No more bounding box volumes for meshes. PR has good images for demonstration.

Tested with a horse statue model from Poly Haven. Dialed up all the samples to the max for the highest quality.

Left: EEVEE Next, right: Cycles

Comparison with EEVEE.

I feel that Next is faster in volume rendering than the original EEVEE. So you probably can put more samples to volume than usual.

With 2060 Super, rendering the above scene in EEVEE Next took 4 seconds, and in EEVEE it took 7 seconds. Interestingly rendering without all the volumes (so just that box) in EEVEE Next took 1 second, and in EEVEE it took 0.5 seconds.

20 Likes

And it can be quite thin.

You have to set volume sample count high to see thin volumes though. With the default 64 samples you can’t see even the rightmost one.

9 Likes

Anyone been able to get the shadertorgb node to work in eevee-next?

haven’t tested this yet, but do you get the feeling that you have to crank the samples high enough that it counteracts any render-speed advantage over cycles, or is it still fairly fast converging?

It’s dead…

Right now I feel like cycles is faster with denoiser but I like the look of Eevee. There is something about the imperfections and limitations of realtime renderer.

That’s rather bleak for a confirmed report opened 5 days ago

3 Likes