EEVEE : HDR lights

Hello

to render in EEVEE:

is it possible to place HDR lights in the scene?
or are they only for use with the dome?
if possible :
is it possible to illuminate an entire scene with HDR lights positioned in various places like a movie studio?

can these lights be invisible to the camera?

do the soft HDR Ligth Studio presets serve to position HDR lights in the scene with EEVEE? is there tutorial?

thank you again

does anyone know help me?

in Shader view switch to World. Use Environment Texture to add HRDI image.This is how i set it up. Play around with strength and Brightness/Contrast

you can add HDRI trough here as well:

You can always use Rectangular lights to simulate studio lighting or find HDRI image that looks like Studio set up.

Hope that helps!

is it possible to put an HDRI image on a plane?
to position anywhere in the project as if it were a light?
is there tutorial on that?

With this you can use spheres mapped with equirectangular and set as emission. But seems to me a non sens.

You can use in world shader the light pass node output “is camera ray” and use it as mix factor in a mix shader for environement shader with an equirectangular map and another one without.

2 Likes

I just want to remind you, who are active in this thread, that only lamps in EEVEE are casting shadows. An HDRI does not cast shadow. And all other lights that are not lamps are not casting shadows. For that reason, so far, I only use lamps (point, area, sun, spot) in EEVEE.

my intention is to use the HDR studio lights from the soft HDR Ligth Studio.
but without shadows I can’t.

someone already used this product:

is there a free equivalent?
I’m 15 and my father won’t let me use my credit card on the internet, so it has to be free.

can you help me ?

Thank you for your help

You can use any hdr equirectangular image in blender without any plugin.
Just define your world texture environment map and use mix shader.

Real light setup and real camera rig are other things.

Yes I recently bought it to test. The developer put a lot of effort in it, like modeling the stands, making rigs. But for actually lighing the scene in EEVEE I wouldn’t use it (I made my own specialized addon for that).
It’s nice if you want to render the rigs, but for lighting it doesn’t add much more value, IMO.

can you give me your addon file to test?

does it simulate all this cinema studio lighting equipment? with reflectors, batting, .ies files, etc …

It seems that you ve got something in mind searching to reproduce real equipments.
Perhaps you could explain us your goal behind this that we could orient you in a more accurate direction?

It’s a commercial addon, and didn’t want to spam here about it, so I didn’t say the name. But you can check for addon called EV Express and see what it does or how it works. Working with EEVEE is quite a lot to explain here. Here a few things from top of my head:

• EEVEE doesn’t support IES lights.
  • You need to bake indirect light; each time you change a light’s position you need to bake indirect light and use the irradiance probe.
  • Studio lighting equipment? To me it’s a hassle to use them. I tried for example camera rigs, but parenting the camera to something else (mesh circle) is all I need to get smooth camera movements. Reflectors? Why not using just a plane. I think you don’t need those. What you need are lamps, geometry, materials, probes, correct settings for shadow, lights, rendersettings, colormanagement.

I want real cinema and photography studio equipment (lights, batting, camera etc …) to make my images look more real.

are there at least .ies of this type of lights?
and reflection maps to simulate hitters?
and cameras with all the settings of the real cameras?

my interest is more in photography equipment.
I don’t have much interest in cinema

thanks

In case you mean that you want to see the stands , rigs etc in your render, then yes. In that case the light architect addon has use. But if you mean you want real cinema and photography studio equipment (lights, batting, camera) to have better quality of your renders, I think it’s much better to invest in watching tutorials about EEVEE for free first. If you don’t have a grasp yet of the EEVEE render engine, don’t invest yet. Get first familiar with it, and that makes your images much more real than anything else.

I have used blender for years

these files: .ies, reflection map, etc … is for use with cycles

exist ?
preferably free?

For cycles there is somewhere a big library of IES lights. Mind it works only with Cycles not with EEVEE.
Reflection Map? Do you mean the Reflection Cubemap for EEVEE, the probe? That probe is in blender and is free.

The title of your thread is: EEVEE: HDR lights.
So I thought you talk about EEVEE.

IES files are generally provided by manufacturers . You can for example search Philip’s database and download it.

n Blender 2.8 you now have support for IES lights built in! How does that work? Simple, you will open the Node Editor for a particular light source (Lamp) and add an IES node.

For real camera settings… iso etc you can use photographer 2 addon that is free.

You can find. a lot of cad models for free here
On grabcad.
And convert those files with
freecad in a polygon/mesh format.

There is always a free solution for blender and open source stuffs or CC0 CCI files, but you have to dig and search in the right way. As you have noticed, there is no all in one bundled software.
Have a nice day.

I have a file named “fagerhult_fbx_models_v2.zip” which contains a huge amount of 3D models for their light fixtures. Also one called “Fagerhult_IES.zip” for thousands of IES files. They don’t come with a guide, so you may want to find a viewer to browse through them. If accuracy is not required and you’re just looking for “an interesting throw pattern”, there are several other IES sources available, such as pixar, with guides and images included. Using models, I will make the emitter geometry camera only visible and replace with area lights (when do we get camera visible lamp lights?), then create a group of them that I instance around the scene. IES will fail wrt throw pattern with increasing area size, I think they were designed to use with point sources way back when rather than soft shadows in mind. Use an addon called extra lights (?) - the free version don’t come with many lights, but it does add a bunch of node setups useful to control strength conversion, color normalization and spread.