Eevee playback speed at 25 fps - skip frames if not possible

I want to check my animation in Eevee at 25 fps, so when fps is lower it is allowed to skip frames. If it is higher then max at 25 fps.

In that way I can check the timing.

Is this possible?

Thanks!

Freddy

1 Like

I guess not. But this remindsme of a trick I used in Macromedia Director (sigh) to force playback at a certain speed

If you want check your animation, then you must take render with Render Viewport or OpenGL Render. Because, you create an animation, not a game and Eevee not optimized for realtime playback, although it is a real time engine.

Thanks, I’m sure this must be possible in some way, if not in Eevee then in wireframe mode at least (like in the old days).

I’m coming from Lightwave, there you can do it! Choose a framerate, like 25 fps and then you can play at exact rate. It will skip frames to keep the framerate!

Here: Play at Exact Rate is a setting that applies only to the real-time playing of your scene through the frame controls in Layout. With this active, Layout will make sure the playback is at exactly the FPS you have set in your Frames Per Second option …

In Blender there’s no play at exact rate or skip frames*, but solid view is pretty fast indeed.
And if your scene is very heavy on subdivision modifiers or particles and still doesn’t play at needed FPS, you can try the simplify settings, to cut down some geometry.

*Mmm… I’ve never tried the ‘step’ option in output panel…

This is why i stay away from Blender when it comes to animation.
I just can’t animate if I can’t see the result immediately in the correct frame-rate. Having to render out a sequence is a deal breaker for me. Not to mention the usually bad performance of rigs.

1 Like

What other system do other modeling/riging/animation software use? Any kind of cache/bake to pre-compute everything?

All big studios test their own final animation results with pre-rendered videos. Because real-time results only will be misleading. Easily you can take render Viewport or render with Workbench. This is really fast.

I am currently learning Maya (again) this time I am focussed on animation and a little rigging.
Maya’s playback speed is awesome. I don’t know too much about the back-end that makes it possible but there are buzzwords floating around like parallel rig evaluation and GPU accelerated deformation.
There is also system to tag your rig controllers so that they immediately react when you move them which gives a huge speed boost.
I get 120 fps on something that runs with 18 fps in Blender. Without the RIG acceleration.
There is also a new pre-bake cache system since last year which you can use to make it run fast if you have really lots of stuff going on. So far I never had to use it.
And of course if the playback is too slow you can skip frames and force it to run in the real speed.

If I am in the process of adjusting movements on a walk cycle I am not going to render out a sequence, look at it and and then make the next change and rinse and repeat that process - I would throw solid objects through my monitor in no time.
That’s not fast, that’s slow - fast is if I just click on play and watch it.

If you in the process, why you test FPS?

FPS test be only when final animation phase.

Well, some of us have been arguing for many years that the main flaw in Blender is performance. But the vast majority insist on UI and usability tools (even now on 2.8+).

The UI and usability change brought tons of new users, $$$ and attention from the public as well as the industry. I would argue that in no way could the BF tackle the performance issues without that support.
From that perspective, 2.8+ was a success. But I think many underestimate how much the BF has to push this topic in order to get anywhere close to the gains the competition has made in the last decade.
@Hikmet
I don’t understand your question…Why would i not look at the fps to judge playback performance - it’s one of the first things i do.

If your rig is very complex, or poly count of your model is high, you never playback with target FPS.

When you finish your rig, finish your animation phases, and when you start final animation phase, then you will test your FPS.

And if you want test realtime, then you use different subdivision levels or low poly replicas, puppets, etc.

Slightly confused here. I’m on a mac laptop of all things, and using a rigify rig in workbench, I can viewport playback at 24/30fps no issues.

For 60fps timelines it nets out around 45fps, but contrary to what’s being discussed here, it has no issues doing drop-frames to maintain timing with scratch track. I just select AV-Sync from the Timeline > Playback menu.

1 Like

My question was not about testing framerates FPS, I just want to see, to feel, the animation, the movement, the whatever in a given speed, say 25 FPS. And if Blender can’t play it realtime then it can skip frames. Again I came from Lightwave and used it all the time, every preview with exact framerate and skipping frames. So no surprises after the rendering! Also for syncing on voice-over and music this is necessary!

1 Like

(just checking, my post above yours i think describes how to do what you’re asking, in case you missed it)

1 Like

OMG! You make me happy! You are right!

Thanks!!!

F

https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/editors/timeline.html