Eevee shadows

You’ve keyframed the Blend Mode to Opaque for some reason. As soon as I removed the keyframe and turned it back to alpha clip for the Blend Mode and Transparent Shadow the shadow showed up.

Have no idea how that keyframe got there, but anyway I removed it and set to Alpha blend. Still no shadow for me. Here is the updated .blend file.New_Alpha2.blend (738.5 KB)

I tried the new file, went into render view and it had the shadow the straight away. I have no idea what’s going on on your end, but at this point you might want to consider having a priest come in and exorcise your PC because this is beyond science.

1 Like

Maybe I do need that! So you ARE seeing the shadow in the shape of an “A” on the cube, right?

Eevee uses OpenGL. Maybe this is not caused by a wrong setting in the scene, but by something external, like a limitation of your graphics card, an older version of OpenGL, or by graphics card settings. Maybe OpenGL alpha transparency is disabled in your graphics card settings? Did you also check all Blender graphics display preferences?

No I didn’t check any of the Blender display preferences, and I’m not sure where to find those settings.
As far as the settings on my graphics card goes, I don’t think that’s the problem because I’ve never had an issue when using Cycles.

OK so here is the .blend file which shows the problem. In rendered view in the 3D viewportNew_Alpha4.blend (743.0 KB)
, as it is, the torus shadow is showing in the cube, but not the “A” shadow. But if you switch to Cycles instead of Eevee, BOTH shadows are there. So I don’t think the problems are with the graphics card or display mode.

Hey @bill2reg , @Metin_Seven could be right actually. Please provide these informations in detail, so someone could diagnose your issue:

1. GPU & CPU models.
  2. Operating System (Mac?, Windows 10?)
  3. Blender Version

OK here are the specs, but as I said, all of this works with Cycles with no problem. Only when I use Eevee the problem exists.

Blender 2.80 bets
bf9904ec8018
(Installed about 3 days ago)

Windows 7 - 64 bit
Intel Core I7 970
12 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD5570 1 GB RAM

Cycles uses the CUDA or (in your case) OpenCL library for rendering, Eevee uses OpenGL. Those graphics libraries operate separately, and can each have independent issues.

Press the F4 key and choose Preferences from the pop-up menu. Go to the Viewport section and try changing the Textures ➔ Clip Alpha value.

I’d also check if you have the latest drivers for your AMD GPU, and the latest OpenGL version.

I guess AMD is the reason here. You can report this as bug to developers here:

Well it seems I have solved the problem. It has nothing to do with my Windows version, Blender build, GPU or system settings. What I did was to change a setting in the materials settings, where I had to set “Surface” to “Transparent”, and “Color” to “Image texture” of the plane with the “A”. I have tried a few other things to make sure it works, and it does. But thanks to everyone who tried to help. I appreciate the efforts and this Blender community.

1 Like