Eevee slowed by 90% or more

Hey I can upload files now! Here’s a screenshot that explains better than me:

Obviously, this goes to your point about Apple and AMD… Cycles is enabled, it just doesn’t like my GPU. In 2.83 it actually shows “No Compatible GPUs”, where in 2.91+ it simply doesn’t say anything in that spot, as if there is no GPU. Looks like I’ll be reading up on render farms and eGPUs. Thanks much!

Ok, now that you’ve clarified, what you’re seeing is normal. As posted above, Blender for Mac stopped supporting GPU Cycles co-rendering after Apple and Nvidia’s divorce (and part of a very intense conversation currently going on about future support for Metal or MoltenVK). Your GPU is being utilized for EEVEE for sure, otherwise you wouldn’t get anything at all. If your GPU fan is spinning in Cycles it might just be a standard iMac function to help keep the overall internals cool, that CPU generates a lot of heat and on the iMac’s tightly packed motherboard that heat will affect all sorts of pieces parts, so it’s pretty natural that the GPU fans would kick in as well as the other fans.

It’s cool you’re getting into Blender. If you become more serious about CG, there are other options that would favor faster render times, but that’s probably for another discussion.