Eevee vs Cycles Comparisons

If Eevee is nigh realtime, when could we see interactive renders and script-based render simulations?

I think that was proposed when BF announced it was no longer supporting BGE; BGE was great for doing simulations with interactivity in it though.

I think EEVEE is Blender’s Next generation into rendering including realtime. not only that im also experimenting EEVEE myself but for motion picture films, short films, web series, etc and there all going to be rendered in EEVEE with VFX, photorealistic, motion tracking, simulations, animation, and much more. plus it’s faster then cycles so if you’re planning on making a short film then you will get the rendering done on time.

eevee is nice, but can people not overhype it? There is nothing next gen in it, just another “game” render and not top one, there is still catching up to do and only matter of time for other 3d packages to include alternatives.

3 Likes

That interior looks great! What were your Eevee settings, especially light probes?

My current hope (ideal situation really) would be the possibility to render some passes in Cycles and others in EEVEE (EEVEE render-passes would be helpful here), and maybe even composite some low-frequency Cycles data from a low sample render over EEVEE to correct some of the GI errors. For example, the underside of the bed is not dark enough in the bedroom comparison.

I guess I’ll take that as a “stick with cycles then?”

You can already do this, you use the indirect passes from cycles and layer them on top of the eevee render. Kinda pointless considering you have to render the full image in cycles to get the pass anyways.

Hmm… I’m still musing as to ways of combining the two.
EEVEE handles shadows and direct lighting pretty well now, and using light probes is probably(?) still faster than a full render.
Volumetrics would definitely be done in EEVEE, though it would possibly require a little more shader trickery than Cycles.
Reflection, Refraction and large-scale SSS should be done in Cycles. If done in multiple passes, maybe create a mask to threshold Cycles involvement.
Unfortunately, since EEVEE doesn’t support runtime tesselation/displacement (yet?), any objects that use those effects would need to be done entirely in Cycles.

Cycles and eevee comprasion. I don’t say about eve is bad, but have some problems. Was thinking eevee it’s something similar to marmoset 3d. Eevee have shading artifacts on seams, uv-overlaps and symmetrical geometry. And different work with roughness map

An example of using these materials in cycles with full render

eevee aren’t meant to replace cycels to begin with, at best it works as quick preview for it or preview for how models will look in game engines.

Hi,

How can I have 2 transparent object in Eevee, one on top of another? Now it doesn’t work at all. Possible or not?

Regards,

Disable Screen Space Refraction on the material of the object at the rear (or inside the other object)

Sadly I need it. The rear object in My project is an panel, which is lighten by mesh emmiters and this need to trace the refraction. Off course I can do this another way, but like to have it as it is.

I’m examining the material on that and cannot for the life of me figure out how the glass is there - in other words if I try to duplicate the effect, I can’t see the nodes/settings to do so.

Missing something obvious, I know. :slight_smile: