Eevee/Workbench development updates

That wont going to happen.
Tho it will be visible in SSGI or Ray-Tracing.

Yeeeees apparently panoramic cameras are a target. I’m very glad ! I use them over perspective with Cycles.

The blog post has an update about NPR rendering.
What’s interesting is that after the re-write Eevee will have a deferred pipeline instead of the current forward one.
That should allow for some cool new stuff ( maybe a bevel shader ).

The new Eevee might need I cool WIP name, lke Cycles-X.
What do you think would be a cool WIP name for Eevee?

1 Like

It would be cooler to have procedural pointiness/ edge detection UV-less texturing pipeline could be accomplished for prototyping in Eevee before committing finals to Cycles.

EINC?

Eevee Is Not Cycles

1 Like

Any idea if these updates would allow the hair shader to work in EEVEE?

Jolteon
135-Jolteon

2 Likes

Unlimited Lights WIP (from Clement).
https://developer.blender.org/rB520962b3d6bfb89b5fb11a757d6d664f0847b1e2

So scenes like city lights (with actual lights) or a hardware store lighting department will be far more practical to do.

8 Likes

Is there already an experimental builds out there from the new Eevee?

Or is there a good place where we can follow the development?

I’ve been following it from here, but as you can see it’s not had much activity very recently. I did build it a couple days ago but from what I saw it’s not going to do much for you in its current state - it basically just looked like normal eevee, performance, UI and all, with some things not available (SSR) or a bit broken (SSS). It was only a brief look though, not a deep dive; still, I’d hold off for now.

If you’d like to build it yourself, then - assuming you know or learn how to build blender - you can switch from master branch to eevee-rewrite with git checkout eevee-rewrite then build with make update and make as normal.

There are some new things compared to current Eevee there.

That’s just visible features. There might be a lot of groundwork or/and improvements done that we missed. For example, he used this paper which I don’t think is used in either Eevee or Cycles since it was publiched only year ago.

This is great, I learned recently this was possible thanks to deferred rendering (as opposed to the corrent forward method) in unity both modes are possible, and forward was better suited for NPR stuff, if you can’t choose, I hope it won’t harm progress in that style either.

Did I miss something or did EEVEE got x2 speed improvement between 2.92 and 2.93 ?

Nothing in the release notes is pointing to such big gains…

1 Like

You did. EEVEE got a new DoF method which is much more optimized and can reduce render times for scenes that use it considerably.

Vulkan branch got some attention recently:
https://developer.blender.org/diffusion/B/history/tmp-vulkan/

3 Likes

From recent Rendering Meeting:

• Clément comes to Amsterdam soon to discuss plans regarding Eevee 2.0, Vulkan and viewport compositing. Note these features are not going to make it for Blender 3.0.

So 3.0 will not have Eevee rewrite

1 Like

:anchor: T93220 EEVEE rewrite (blender.org)

8 Likes

hey this doesnt work for me , after switching branch make update says

Python not found in external libraries, updating to latest version

python not found in lib folder

and just building gives error , several modules not found