Egg white material

Hello.

I’m a beginner and I’m trying to create a broken egg in blender. In order to create the egg white, I’m using cycles, but the results are not satisfactory at all. Is there anybody who can help me, telling to me what nodes shall I use?
Thanks in advance

you might have to add a bright/ contrast node to increase white intensity

and use a diff and glossy nodes

is it like this one here

then show us what you get and we can help you further

happy cl

Thanks!!! It’s fantastic. I will make my attempts and then I will show you the results.

Hi.
This is the result of my attempts: they are deceptive. I think the egg white (don’t mind the yolk) should be much more reflective, as shown in the image I used as reference. Besides it looks like a solid material, not a fluid with very high viscosity.

How can I improve the results?
Thanks

Attachments

Not sure if I understand your node setup. The first Mix Shader node is set to 0, so it exclusively uses the top input and the Glossy shader is basically useless. And then you mix the Glass shader with a Transparent shader based on a constant mixing factor?

Another thing is: “Always give reflective surfaces something to reflect.”
Your egg white is a planar surface in what seems a to be a plain grey environment. This can only result in plain grey (= mostly invisible) reflections.

Here’s quick and dirty try:

It occurs to me that the egg white is not of uniform color. It seems to be more yellowish-orangish around the yolk until it is almost watery-clear (with only a hint of yellow) at the borders. Therefore I painted an area around the yolk black in vertex paint mode with a large brush.

This vertex paint can be accessed in Cycles via a Attribute > Col node. This node is used to drive:

a) The color transition within the Glass shader and
b) the mix between the Glass and a Translucent shader, to also have the egg white slightly more opaque around the yolk:

Perhaps this can serve as a starting point?
BTW, egg shells model taken from this blend.

Thank you very much!!!
Your remarks about my work are very helpful to me, because they help me to better understand the logic of the nodes.
I’ll surely use your exemple, because it’s exactly what I needed.
Congratulations for your work and thanks again.

@IkariShinji

interesting way to do it

can you elaborate on how to do it ?

is this one mesh one 2 mesh objects?
and this needs some verts painting too

thanks

Not sure if I get the question…
Egg yolk and egg white are different meshes. Egg white mesh gets (more or less) subtle vertex painting:

The mesh is not ideal, though, as the yolk is kind of sitting on top of the white right now, which looks wrong. I think it might be better is the egg white would also entirely cover the yolk with a thin film - was just too lazy to do that…

one mesh for the yellow yoke
another mesh all around the yoke for the white part

then vert paint middle of the white to make it darker
so guess bluish in middle

one thing the broken edges for the shell looks too artificial too perfect !
wish I could break eggs like that !

there was a tut on it from blenderguru

thanks
happy bl

Well, since this is not my project, I think I put enough effort into this…:wink:
However, I like simple solutions, so I guess I would just sculpt the egg white in the yolk area until the yolk is completely sunken in. But hey, let’s have the OP deal with that…:smiley:

I did a quick test for the white set up
and most of it is blackish !LOL

don’t know have to re work some values may be

how tick is the white part ?

thanks
happy bl

I always try to stay within realistic dimensions if possible. The egg white is about 2.5 cm thick at its highest part.

well 2.5 cm is a bit thick
unless it is an ostrich eggs LOL

If possible can u upload a sample file
would save time

still wondering about the new feature for point density did u test it
in latest build

and did u test the latest build for new updates for higher speed in viewport
I mean on win 64
there was some bugs in beginning

thanks
happy bl