Elasmotherium sibiricum

Late Pleistocene: an Elasmotherium sibiricum female and her calf venture through the Eurasian steppe. All models developed in house.

52 Likes

This looks amazing! Did you mainly use Blender or other software? You say in house—were you the only one to work on this project?

1 Like

Well Done!!!

1 Like

Hello, I used only some Photoshop to add the falling snow effects you see. All the rest it’s Blender. And yes, I did all the rhino models by myself, that’s my job :slightly_smiling_face:
I’ve done lot of critters along the years: https://www.artstation.com/alessandromastronardi

1 Like

Looked at your works…Amazing :sunglasses:

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

You’re on the featured row! :+1:

1 Like

it looks better without snow on them

2 Likes

Awesome work! I was wondering about the enormous horn, which seems to be almost useless for survival , looked it up on wikipedia and learned, that some scientists think that it might have been smaller. On the other hand, some cave paintings seem to support the huge horns. Maybe the thawing permafrost in Siberia will reveal the truth in the near future.
Btw, did you ever use ZBrush for some of your work?

1 Like

Wow! Looks amazing, great work!:fire::fire::fire:

1 Like

Yes there are lot of speculations about the so called “siberian unicorn”. Some scientists suggest that such a gigantic horn couldn’t be supported by the the neck and head anatomy; others say that it very well could. We will probably never know for sure but as you said, who knows maybe some well preserved fossil will emerge from the permafrost some day. I do use lot of ZBrush in my work, not specifically on this, which was almost entirely a Blender piece, except the overimposed snow blizzard effect.

Must admit that I imagine Unicorn somehow different…
Seriously great work. Fur looks very good.

1 Like

Gorgeous reconstruction of an awesome creature!

Love how you’ve captured the brutal environmental conditions too.
Tough critters eh?

1 Like

Oh yes, they were simply amazing!

1 Like