Elastic clothes

Hello all! i tried to make this technical question the sexiest possible…

Since a few days i am trying to make clothes.

Blender has a cool feature for that:

-You set up a collision target
-then you set up a mesh that you make “cloth
-you clcik on collision / bake button
-…and it makes the cloth fall on the target like that:

well… it is ok if you want to design mexican costumes!
But when i try to design mor sohphisitcated clothes, i am not happy with the result.

In my opignon, mordern fabrics like lycra or even tight cotton t shirt would react more upon elasticity than gravity.:

a random exemple…

if you watch closely at the fabric (the FABRIC!) you can see that gravity does not really affect the folds but the tension toward the “target”.

SO my question is:

Would’nt it be nice if we have a solution to avoid using gravity but rather elasticity to calculate the folds?

By looking at the works on this forum, it seems that everybody use simple gravity…

So if you agree or desagree with my theory, if you know a solution, if you are a NASA ingeneer working on a wet t-shirt simulation system… feel free to comment!

Model it?

That’s the only way you’ll get that look.

You have to model the cloth to fit. The model is like a piece of clothing.

Cloth is affected by fields. Maybe you can parent a Vortex Field inside the model/girl/whatever, who is a collision object, and simulate elasticity that way.

Currently, Soft Body simulation has springy-ness. and will contract to form fit.

Daniel8488 yes it is an option, but i am looking for a reproductible and automated way.

tak you mean to calculate, change de mesh, and recalculate and so and so?

sck5000 i had this idea, i am still searching in this direction, but i don t know wich one force and what parameters…

PapaSmurf interesting! i ll experiment the softbodies options to find that!

If i find something efficient i ll keep you in touch with my progress

thanks all!!

No, not exactly.

If you want the shirt to fit tightly, you need the model to be shaped like a real shirt. I would suggest studying how a real shirt is made.

However, in all honesty, you’ll probably have an easier time faking it. Just model a tight looking shirt, then attach some bones to the wrinkles to flatten them out and make them appear when needed. The shrink wrap modifier would help out a lot with faking it. You could also apply cloth physics to small sections of the shirt to bring a little more realism into it.

I don’t see an automated solution to your wish.
But my 2 cents:

In 2 sim passes:

1.the normal pass: you make a shirt around a model,
you launch the simulation,
the shirt ‘glue’ to the model with the gravity.

1. you ‘apply’ the result of the simulation by the modifier tab.

2. you set up another sim like the first one except you get rid of the gravity by setting Z=0 and play with stiffnes,etc…

I haven’t tested… Just one idea…

shrink wrap modifier could replace your 1st step

I just remembered. Some years ago, I’ve read a tut ( for maya or max ) where they increase the scale of the model during the sim.

And yes, it is quite possible to so sophisticated cloth with blender.
It all depends on the artist: :rolleyes:
http://www.vimeo.com/979006

E.g. you have way too much mass on that cloth, you have to lower it, not just preset + finished. :no:

Greetings
daniel

tak thanks for the video, it makes me realize i should even try it in real to understand how fabric works.
Actually my goal is to automatize the process.

What i focus on is the effect of drapery with the wrinkles at the right places, assuming the fabric is always a kind of elastic spandex that automatically fits the shape of the body (i always design superheros or sience fiction clothes)

Patsoko interesting! would you opt for clothes or soft body?

About resizing it: for now it appears to me that it is the best solution in blender…

Shatter I had bad results by combining shrink wrap and simulation, but i should try harder!

i had nice results with clothes and resizing but i m sure there is a way to improve it. I would post some captures as soon i use it in some interesting work. For now i have to finish my helicopter!

One thing I might point out is that the shirt that the tomb raider girl is wearing is barely larger than her torso. She probably had to stretch it to fit over her body. Hence the tight stretched wrinkles. Here’s an idea, create a shirt with elastic properties (it needs to be smaller than or equal to the size of the character’s torso) Make the torso of the character smaller than the shirt at the beginning of the simulation. Grow the torso into the shirt. The shirt will stretch and expand and wrinkle to fit the torso inside. I’d like to see the results of such a test.

I thought a while ago that this might be a good way to fit clothes to a character… The steps I would do (I know this is repeating)…

1: Model character.

2: Model clothes, set values for stretch of edges, possibly design the mesh so that the edges follow the lines (warp and weft) of the fabric so the stretchiness is as close to real as possible.

3: Scale down the model by a predetermined amount (say 0.5) and place it into the clothes.

4: Animate the return to normal scale of the character whilst running the cloth sim (gravity might need to be set incredibly low or cloth mass set low to avoid or minimise the falling of the cloth during the simulation.

I would really like to see the results of anyone’s experiments with this technique.

I also had the idea of using a similar technique to create clothes for a character from a cloth pattern (2d diagram of the shapes of the pieces of cloth). This could be used to create real clothes (eg. take a picture of your favourite baggy jeans when flat against a wall and use this as a pattern). The cloth pieces could be ‘stitched’ together in a plane and then bent out very slightly in the middle (proportional editing?) with the front piece of cloth moving forward and the back piece of cloth moving backward. The character is then scaled down along the plane cutting the body into front/back and placed into the nearly flat clothes. The cloth simulation is run whilst the character returns to normal size, and the character is dressed. :slight_smile:

Its been 10 years since you asked this question and I now wonder how far have you gone with it. I’ve seen fancier solutions like this coming along but not in the near future, at least in blender.