Electric Razor

In recent months, I was finally forced to replace my 10 year-old PC and my 25 year-old electric razor. So, this is me testing out the new PC to model and render my new electric razor using the latest release of Blender (3.5.something).

It was lightning fast. These renders took about 15 seconds each. That’s really good, right? 64 samples with cycles on GPU—probably much higher than necessary too. It’s an RTX 3060.

Most of the materials are purely procedural except for the counter top (which was downloaded for free) and anything that has writing or icons on it (I did those in Illustrator).

46 Likes

Wow the attention to detail is amazing, good job!

4 Likes

Amazing. How did you do the metal grate at the head of the shaver? They don’t seem to be on the untextured model.

2 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

3 Likes

Thank you! :grinning:

1 Like

The metal grate for the foil is all procedural materials. I don’t know if this is the most efficient way to do it, but I used hexagonal UV cells with hexagons inside each so that I could control the thickness of the metal between all the holes. I used the alpha node on the material for the holes and then applied a very thin solidify modifier and bevel modifier to the mesh. I also used a mapping node to elongate the hexagons along the foil’s axis.

Here are the material nodes. Multiple people also have video tutorials for this method on YouTube.

Hope that helps. :beers:

7 Likes

This is really useful. Thank you!

1 Like

You’re on the #featured row! :+1:

Awesome job! Can you please tell me how you created the plastic material?

Thanks. Sorry for the brief delay responding.

Here are the nodes I used. I hope this helps.

3 Likes