Elon Musk announce the Tesla Cybertruck

8 Likes

Yeah I figured that. But it is not the volume that is the issue. With a “real” truck you are not limited to the bed volume by design. I am talking about the lack of modular design. You can build onto the design as needed through third parties. And there are a lot of them that service all kinds of industries and uses.

And in so doing they have cut out large parts of the market, not to mention fleet sales.

You have a wide swath of potential truck owners who will never buy this truck simply because it is not conducive to being converted to specific use. Roofers, Plumbers, landscape design and so on. These guys need to carry large pipes and generally install various racks.

Additionally another advantage of the “old school” frame, is that large fleet builders can buy a standard truck frame and build it out for a wide variety of industries that need utility trucks with custom configurations of compartments and other large equipment such as cranes and cherry picker buckets.

It is clear that this designer either does not care about this wider “bread and butter” market or really does not understand it.

Only people buying this will be inner city folks. Cool I guess.

But they could have easily found a way to make this truck fit within certain standards or at least create their own standard of modular design that third parties could exploit. But it seems they have ignored both here.

Also the lack of a place for a gun rack is going to be a deal killer in some counties in the USA.

Just saying…

Although I have to agree here. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ahh I see what you mean. I wasn’t really thinking about 3rd part add-ons. Good point. And I definitely understand what you mean. Born and raised in Arizona, here. We like our trucks, and we like 'em big and loud. Murica! :smile:

This they did cover in spades from what I saw in one video. The cargo area is covered in configurable slats that can be used as tie down points or to fasten accessories (ladder rack, camper, etc). Of course it’s another matter entirely for existing accessory makers to design for a non-standard shape. I guess time will tell if that even happens.

1 Like

May I correct you on it with “distrucktive” technologies?

1 Like

I think it looks awful. My mind just screams, something about it looking like cheap welded sheet metal garbage, I’m not really sure. I just hate it in every way.

And generally I’m a fan of Musk and other insane billionaires who have hobbies lol. If these guys didn’t have the freedom and money to try to do crazy stuff like this, then how would we ever get any of this stuff done?

The truck looks like a cool sci-fi vehicle when viewed from the back (with the bed open), but then it looks like some bland box when viewed from the front (especially with the nearly invisible headlights and the utter lack of detail).

At least give it nice square LED headlights for personality purposes, as the empty rectangles where they would otherwise go just looks wrong. Some additional detailing straight out of Tron or even Halo wouldn’t hurt as well.

1 Like

Looks like a reject design from a bad 70’s Sci-fi Movie. Any one Remember Damnation Alley? This thing was parked in Burbank for a while. movie_landmaster

Though it would look better with lasers or dual machine guns on top. Send it to Africa and see if it makes a good technical.

I have a feeling it will be bought by people that never owned a truck and will never use it as a truck. It will just become an annoying status symbol like Humvees that have never been driven off road a day in their life.

2 Likes

Hi, “Thunderbirds are go” Supermarionettation, cool design.
Now we know what Musk watch as a child. :wink:
Btw., nobody in Europe drive a truck or SUV off road they pester the towns.

Cheers, mib

:joy: you have no idea, i am fan of original Alien 80’s combat truck

So, it is imprinted in my mind like a Sygil since I was a child, so the cybertruck, I can’t not like it.
https://youtu.be/Yn45pl8yXzk?t=51

not to mention the “ferrari” of Another World, the first amiga game that really had me mindblown in the 90s …
my mind is totally subjected and impressed by this style. there is no victory, I can only surrender to it. :joy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j4gO9sR7zs

(and I’m not quoting the Lamborghini Countach … otherwise I exaggerate.)

let’s face it … Musk this time, perhaps for the first time in his life, took a few pebbles from his shoes and made his own mind.
and resonated with those of his own generation.

2 Likes

I think Musk wants to test his future Mars vehicle on earth before hand, it is even better people pay money to test his device.

And his company broke the design threshold of shitty looking vehicle designs of our time. Finally maybe motor vehicle companies will use the available technology at hand to make accessible and interesting designs for the masses.

admit it, those who don’t prefer the Cybertruck over a classic pickup … are lying to themselves :joy:

1 Like

I am a fan of Tesla and Elon so technically no doubts here.

I am also a fan of high-tech and futuristic design so this movement was a real push forward. Also I like minimalism and flat surfaces. But these would have to be done right with a proper balance and form.

HOWEVER they took a high risk here and went over-the-top. Is another thing having the futuristic-look and other thing going a little bit more utilitarian and conservative, the went real Avant-Garde here.

The real turndown for me are the sharp edges. It triggers my OCD issue about dangerous sharp objects and is not good. At least they would have to smooth them out a bit as a starting point and then fixing that triangular roof.

1 Like

the funny thing is that I’m not at all a tesla fun, in the classic design mode that he used so far for his cars until now …
(to try to make them aesthetically very similar to oil-derived machines)
but this time, as you can see, it caught me in full

I think it is a vehicle to totally test a new design, minimalist first of all to make it with the utmost ease and the lowest price to achieve it.

I also think that it is a disruptive vehicle in the true sense of the word, in the sense that it is probably designed to have as few pieces as possible to assemble (less hours to assemble the car, more simplicity of development, more speed to get them, less money needed for development).
I would not be surprised if a good part of it is made with 3D printing to create monoblocks that could not be obtained in alternative ways.

2 Likes

1 Like

even if it looks like a car designed by a child, in reality, there is a lot of cunning, they took the most cult cars, like the countach or the aventador, mixed with the most cult science fiction movies … bladerunner and probably more …

bladerunner 2049… …

bladerunner classic…

the lamborghini countach…

I’ll upvote anyone who brings up Out of this World. That game was absolutely incredible back in the day.

1 Like

in my world was called another world :upside_down_face:

but I agree, it was far ahead of the games that circulated in 1990

the story and the gameplay are valid even nowadays … and those who haven’t played there should try it …

1 Like

Finally, the future is here!

1 Like

bladerunner classic …

news about Another World but that are just off-topic here

Speaking of Another World, I think it is interesting to know that it was created by just one person Éric Chahi, (for the times and with that technology, the results obtained were impressive to me.) It took two years to develop the game … then he did little else, and disappeared for a decade from the video game scene … and went on to be a Vulcanologist! in Sicily on the Etna volcano …
then it reappeared in 2010 with a renewed version of another world and made a new game “from dust” where the protagonist is a god who must help through the control of meteorological events (lava, rain, soil manipulation, and other powers) his followers to pass conquer new territories.
and now he is creating a new game where he put all his experience … Paper Beast … a game where creatures emerge in a simulated environment and interact with each other with big data algorithms …

Another World’s Éric Chahi On Designing Paper Beast
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgDlXreu1vs