Elpis The Game (Infinite Procedural Terrain - VIDEO)

Nice work, a lot of people tend to forget that by pressing the forward key in recent games they usually don’t play an animation. They tell the character to speed up or switch speed modes and then the animation system picks it up.

looks nice. Maybe it’s just me, but did you get inspiration of the wall run and those large red things from overgrowth? :stuck_out_tongue:

lol i thought the same thing mokazon! looking great man, the actual animations could use some work though, when he runs hes using his arms too much and his legs arent moving enough.

Those are some nice updates! :yes: Glad to see you’re still on this game.
btw is this level inspired by Overgrowth by any chance? Because it looks like the hex crete level.:yes:

Thank you for your nice and kind comments I’m really trying to get something nice here, and you all that are wondering if I was inspired by overgrowth, yes I was! I believe that overgrowth is a amazing game and engine, I wanted to add free running to my game and though that those large red hexagon platforms from overgrowth whore an perfect testing environment. And the level that you all saw on my video is just a testing sandbox and it probably won’t be included on the official release…
Again thank you all for the motivational comments! This project I’m working on is just to show that the blender engine is capable of incredible things…

This particular project upon the Blender Artist Forum has captured my interest for a considerable period of time, and recently I have been particularly impressed by the impressive preliminary animation and rag-doll implementation. Furthermore, the effective low polygon modeling, and detailed texturing, are very attractive features of the extensive project; I anticipate that further progress will inspire plentiful interest from many members of the Blender community, thus I congratulate you for your inspiring efforts in relation to the project.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:
Ragdoll in Blender 2.49? in the bones?
You are a genius, can explain his technique, or is it secret?
You can add me on your msn? [email protected]

Ragdoll in Blender 2.49? in the bones?
You are a genius, can explain his technique, or is it secret?

Work in Progress of a terrain, need plenty of work… but I believe it’s much more attractive than the desert on the video…
Please tell me what you think :wink:

Thank you @KeyFinder, LOVED your comment! People like you truly motivate me to go on!
@victor448 The exact way I did it is a secret I’m sorry, but on the blender artist forum you can find many post on how to link a bone from a armature to an object, then make this object a rigidbody… Ta-da!

I’m curious, why don’t you use the UDK? Or Cry3?

http://i.imgur.com/mwo5gl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/65DM8l.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/EwkLal.jpg

And, Oh look! It can even do proper parallex like any other modern engine!
http://i.imgur.com/3VbePl.jpg

Puts on asbestos undies.
It the bare-nekked truth people. And it’s an honest question.

[edit] Oh gosh, this is my 66xth post. :X Dat’s not good; now no one will take me seriously.

:eek:

OMG IT’S SÓ BIG!

Polycount: 12323 Tri

I like the new terrain, keep it up. :slight_smile:

It’s beautiful terrain. And the second shot’s incredibly large, as well. Nice terrain - keep it up!

This is an issue that has been raised many times over the course of this engine’s lifetime, one of ‘engine A vs. engine B’. It used to be that there was a huge gap between such professional engines and the BGE, but it’s not so large anymore. The BGE could probably render all of the images that you posted at 60 FPS (or something close to it) - it’s just up to the artists to make it so. Nweissberg is attempting to do just that with his game - make something that is visually compelling. To me, he is succeeding. Also, licensing can be an issue for those engines. Depending on how much you sell, you may have to pay a large percentage of the income to the engine’s development studio.

EDIT: Finally, those engines aren’t available on all of the plaforms that Blender’s available on (Windows, Mac, and Linux).

EDIT 2: I’m sure some of those who use those engines may look at the BGE and think, “I wish we had an engine that was so easy to pick up and get into - so quick to add and change assets.”

Why is the way you made the ragdoll a secret? I thought you were gonna make tutorials for everything you make in time.

Also, love the terrain. I think it looks fantastic. Although it is one of the problems I see in your art style, It’s too grey-ish. Like Skyrim but without the extra details. But I think I know how to explain it better:

The difference in art style between the character and the environment is huge. In the latest picture you posted this becomes quite apparent. While the character is rather bright and colorful, the environtment and monoliths in particular could use more of that handpainted look. Probably because you seem to use free images you found online and because you’ve textured the character by hand. The upcoming Darksiders 2 is a good example of a game where the art style is very consistent:

Even shortening the gap between your character and the world can already make your game look so much better.

Now, about the engine, seems to me that the reason you’re sticking with 2.49b and BGE is because you don’t want to waste time learning new things. The latter I’m fine with, but there is no excuse to stick with a version that has been outdated for two whole years. I recall you claiming that 2.49b is better for game development, but this claim is just simply untrue. There are so many features in the new 2.6 versions that your talent could benefit from. The Harmony branch, which will add much better shadows will soon be merged into trunk and be a part of 2.62. Pathfinding is also a lot easier in 2.6+ and the python syntax got better as well, I recall. And learning the new interface is not that hard.

If you ever feel like you’ve hit the limit on what the BGE can do, you should take a look at jMonkeyEngine, a very powerful, open-source game engine that uses Java. I doubt that you do, since you’ve already got the possibility to move onto 2.6+, but just in case, the link is there. I found out about JME on SolarLunes blog, but I don’t know if he uses it much.

Also, just a random question, how many vertices and faces does your character have? He looks very low-poly, which can be disadvantegous when just paying attention to his silhouette. Also, does he have a name?

Yea i hear ya bro, i can see how u may not have a prototype of ur  ragdoll system setup. Probably due to time, and work restraints you  built the ragdoll system using your current version of your  character and to give away a .blend file just for your ragdoll would also  mean giving up your character. To that extent i can see what you mean by  not giving your hard work away and i would agree with ya there. 

i wouldn’t want to give my models and animation away either souly outta fear of misuse. however, creating and dev kit that had all the functions intended to be put into the game minus the art and releasing the dev kit to the public would be awesome. Tho i respect that other people would do things differently.
Yet, since blender was free, and from the hard work of others, much harder work than our what we put into our games, it would be a good gesture to share at least our techniques with each other. i mean come on, theres def someone else code that you learned from yet modified to fit your game, running on ur game. For that reason, it took someone elses hard work and passion for sharing that allows you to not have to reinvent the wheel, wasting time and energy. Instead, these people are like “hey here ya go, heres a mouse look script you can use for you game, so you dont have to spend time figuring it out.”
that in turn gave you a plateau to build from. So it very well could be that theres someone out here in the forums that may stumble upon this here thread and see that awesome video of your game and say “hey, i could really use a ragdoll system like that” and rather than spend the days, weeks or so tryin to figure it out, they can just learn from you and move onto the next part of their development.

thats all im sayin baaaaaaby. hahahahahaha halla

And what I have to say is: Let nweissberg do his game. The quality of a game is more related to the person making it than the engine he is using, I see no problem if he does not want to share his knowledge also; if you cannot find the information you want about a game feature, just figure it yourself(this is what I do), one cannot be forced to share.

Useful ragdoll setup for a game is quite complicated.And not only for a player but for a multiple enemies. I’ made one for my game and not shared it, not because I don’t want to but because almost noone can and will benefit from such a complicated mess of connected meshes,bones and scripts. When I have the time I’ll make a clean setup with a tut, but its just tons of work.

I see why nweissberg won’t share. When you spend a week or more of sleepless nights trying to make something to work and finally you did, it takes time to pass the euphoria away and to be ready to share your work with others.

@TNSv - I’m also using 2.49b, and still don’t see a reason to use 2.6. Hope Harmony will change that…but its unlikely.
As SweetArts says “The quality of a game is more related to the person making it than the engine he is using”, so if you feel comfortable with this version why change.

Okay guys I get it, there are way better engines than blender 2.49 even Blender 2.61 is more power full, I truly understand this… And I just want to make my game I don’t care about the limitation of my tool and etc. I just want to make a nice game and that’s it! I really don’t care if it’s not as perfect as Crysis ou Unreal I want something that will look nice to me… Maybe later I’ll change to blender 2.6+ but when I feel that I’m ready to do so. For now I’ll use 2.49b and I’m fine with this, after all this is my project…
And someday I’ll just give the files to the community I also understand that the world (of blender developers) is this nice place because everyone shares what they achieved; I’ll give it all away like yofrankie did! Just be patient with me, please…

[edit] And thank you very much those that understand me, like @haidme, @SweetArts, @SolarLune, @KeyFinder, etc. Thank you again!

I don’t care what version of Blender you use, just make the game as good as you can make it! I love the art and I can see you really care about what you do…so keep at it! I have a soft spot for Ico/ Shadow of the Colossus (SotC) bleak environments and I really want to see what the BGE can do in this regard.

And regarding 2.49b, doesn’t Monster still use it, with all the cool stuff he does? In the end, I think its how you use the tools at hand that define what you do. I mean, look at what they did with SotC and then look at the specs of PS2…

Calm down, we’re not criticizing. We’re merely trying to start a discussion. We know it’s your game and your decision on whether you want to change a given feature. No need to end sentences with exclamation marks.

I know now why you stick with 2.49b. And I respect that. Just keep doing a good job and your followers will stay with you.

The visual inconsistency still bugs me. Mind reading my last post and tell me what you think? I’m very sure that your game would benefit from a more consistent art-style.

Keep up the amazing work.