So, I’ve recorded this little timelapse using the retopoflow in part.
I believe polystrips was not the perfect solution for this very character as it was too bumpy.
Retopoflow is a very good addon whatever, here are some points and wishlist I would like to inlight :
- The help menu is very handy and really help getting the shortcuts and advise ASAP
- The addon is pretty stable even if I met one or 2 bugs (temporary mesh getting duplicated then polystrip stops working : “Can’t use raytracing to project…”
- You need to build the outline strips to be able to use the patch function. that would be nice if we could select existing mesh strip and draw the additional ones. If possible, I havn’t find the trick.
- Contour works as expected, very handy and easy to use. The only thing I would advise is to display the number of cuts near the drawed line as for polystrips to make both tools more homogeneous and readable.
As I believe it uses most of blender snaping process, enhancing polystrips behaviour must be a pain, but that would be nice if it was a little less jaggy on folding surfaces and doesn’t project on isolated meshes with alt+B (I believe it won’t be possible). Using mask modifier on the sculpted mesh is a very good way to efficiently isolate mesh part without having trouble with hiden surfaces.
Time saved : I think it depends, on this particular case I gues that was 20 to 30% time saved, but as shown on demo video, I think this score can be drasticaly enhanced.
Value for money : The addon suit is a bit expensive compared to most of the addon available on the CookieMarket but… :
- If you’re a professional modeler, then you will armotise its cost in 2 days max. the time saved, the eveness of the topology generated and its ease of use make it a must have.
- If your an hobyist, well, it depends on what you can afford but if you do a lot of sculpting based modeling you should really look into it. the time saved is seriously valuable and that’s a better invest than the latest PS4 game I believe
So Even if I met some problem, I know there are still people hard working on this and this addon is a must have and should definitively be added to blender trunk. I’d give it a 9/10.