Emerald Sword-New Lighting!

My first post. I’ve been 3d modelling for about a week now. I used gmax for like 2 days. I felt it didn’t have the power I wanted. I tried Maya PLE, couldn’t get past the watermark. I stumbled onto Blender and elYsiun. Wow! Great program and great community. I thought I would post the obligatory noob sword.

The Emerald Sword. Inspired by the band Rhapsody(very loosely, as I have no inkling of what the sword looks like). And the Blender manual, of course.

Ignore the atrocious composition and presentation(or, not). I just wanted the focus to be the sword. I’m calling this one finished and moving on.

Feel free to critique and criticize. The parts that look misaligned, actually aren’t. I think it is due to camera angle. I know I have lots to learn and tutorials to read.

Modeled in Blender and rendered in YafRAy

Edit: Improved the lighting slightly. Took about 1 minute. Maybe it can be seen better now?

Attachments

Hey, that’s not bad! I’d like to see it laying flat on the ground with just a basic grey color for the floor to keep the focus on the sword. What are your yafray settings? You could benefit from skydome on the high setting and get a larger render with the camera closer to the object so we can get better detail in the image to really give you some better critiques. :slight_smile:

I like it man. ^______^ a lot better than my first blade lol

jup also better thenmy first blade :wink: I really like the transparant Shadow! but the area looks to dark just add a sun that will look cooler I think and maybe a rack where the stone is hanging in or maybe a blade that’s in a stone :Z

Matt

That’s a superman killer for sure!! The Green Destiny

I like it, would be nice to see it closer up to get all the details. Did you use a photon lamp or is that just a normal spot? Keep posting!!! :smiley:

Thanks all for the replies and suggestions so far.

I could tweak on this more, but, I don’t think I will. I just want to call it done and move on. There is not much more detail than what can be seen. Not much to it.

I did use a photon lamp. I really need to learn about lighting and all of the different lamps. I don’t quite have any knowledge in photography or anything. Maybe learning a few basics will help. In YafRay I used the full and best options. The skybox is actually a stone wall texture. Supposed to simulate a ceiling. It is how I achieved the reflective color on the hilt and handle rings. Maybe not the best approach. I liked it so I kept it.

Believe me, I am taking all the suggestions to heart. I will consider all critques and criticisms for future projects.

I like the sword. Everybody does a sword, but yours is all transparent-like. you did you do the ewmerald? i can spell, really…

|| ||
(o.0)
( ¬-)–>
(/ )

Rifle Bunny

Pretty good for a week of using blender.

P.S. Thanks for the warning (noob alert) :wink:

pretty nice =D with already a little bit of 3D experience (GMAX and Maya) you should be a fast learner, hope you stick with it and can see your progress of images in the future!

Hey welcome too btw! =D