Emitting smoke from image imported as a plane

I have an image of guitarstrings from aftereffects. Its exported as png rgb+alpha.
I import this as a plane into blender. How do I get the strings only to be smoke emitters? Now the whole image is a plane?

You could use geonodes like this to use images to generate points for instancing on.

Hope that helps

1 Like

Thanx, that looks complicated… I could import the guitar as background and make thin long planes with the guitar as reference, I only really need 6 long thin planes similar to the guitarstrings that emitt some fire+smoke? That was my plan B.

Yeah, but that exactly what you asked for!

it will be much easier to make the strings as geo…

Yes, for sure, thats my reflexes as aftereffect-user!

1 Like

Almost at the top of particle settings is Source. Change that to Vertices and you can have just one edge emitting fire.

Read the Manual.

1 Like

Is there anything wrong with asking questions here? This is not trivial stuff. Is it only super-qualified people that are welcome here? Are you king-president here? [Tired]

You can ask a question and wait hours each time. Or you can spend an hour reading and know the answers before knowing the next question to ask here.
I am telling you read the manual to save yourself time.
This is trivial stuff, as you would know if you read the manual.
Have you watched the tutorial available from Blender? Help > Tutorials…
Its the Blender Foundation tutorials.

My apologies if I seem grumpy or offensive. I have bad lungs and a few years back when I could bike all the time I got hit by cars too often. I hurt a lot quite often.

This is also a valid option. Matakani’s suggestion helps in that it allows you to use mesh edges to make your life easier.

No… beginners are welcome but you have to be willing to put in some work. When someone asks you to read the manual it will mostly be in context… i.e. in Matakani’s response the context in particle emitters, meaning they’ve significantly narrowed down where you have to look.

You won’t find anyone here just telling you to read the manual without that context or a link.

Hope you get to a solution to your problems.

Good luck.

2 Likes

Matakani. I watch the tutorials. I read the manual. Do you think I destroy this forum with my question? No one except you are negative. I have pain too, in my hips. I am 57 years old. I treat people nice even so. I hope you get help with your lungs. Regards, Rolf

Why continue having drama? I often tell folk to read the manual. Only you have a drama about it.

Good luck with the flame size. You may want it to shrink to fit the view - smaller towards the neck. Using weight paint or a gradient may help with that.
Or look at using materials rather than particles. Something like this tutorial…

It was you having transparency problems in another thread ??? Using materials may be easier.

Same age.

1 Like

Thanx Matakani. No more drama needed.

Thanx. I am a bit sensitive. I have had som progressive brainfog from blackmold-poisoning. Its better now but my brain is not 100% yet, thats why I am a bit slow. This is also a hobby, I am a scientist in my proffession. Organic chemistry. This is the front of my singel, I am also a singer/musician. I plan to have the guitar with burning strings on the back. I used hydrochloric acid/morpholine for the smoke and a halogen lamp inside the microphone.

I have some progress, the geos match the guitarstrings. It could be a bit special with a thin emitter like this, I suppose? I will have to tweak the settings. Resolution is 250, I can go higher, its just one frame I need.