Engraving high poly mesh via Boolean is crashing Blender

Hi,

I would like to engrave a fairly complete high poly mesh consisting of many ellipses into a cube.

First, I insert the mesh into the cube. Then I use the Boolean modifier to subtract the mesh from the cube. Once I do this, Blender will crash after a few seconds. I already used the Decimate modifier to reduce face count.

I tried to do the same with only one line of ellipses, and it did work.

Is there anything I can do to get the Boolean modifier to work with the high poly mesh? Is there maybe another way to engrave besides using the Boolean modifier?

Kindest regards
Bensky

Those ellipse objects look like they are non-manifold. That could be one reason. Second one is that the mesh is too dense and you are running out of memory.

I’d try at least to boolean half the mesh and then mirror it. That way boolean need to compute only half of the mesh.

If this is supposed to be a small asset for a scene I’d do entire thing with baking normal map though. It’s way cheaper and faster.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply!

I’ve searched for non-manifold objects (“Select all by trait: non-manifold”). There have only been a few which I then deleted. The result is still the same.

I will now take a look at baking. Have never done this. Maybe this is a suitable way.

1 Like

Before you start unwrapping your model and baking normal maps you can do some tests on simpler meshes to get a good grip on the process.

Thanks again for your help. I managed to get the desired results using Fluent Materializer :wink:

You might want to select only the geometry which is actually asociated with the cutting and separate (P) it temporarily to a smaller object…

…so blender had to deal here with only ~20.000 faces instead of ~800.000…

…maybe even for every cutout…