Entrance Hall

Just some more Arch Viz practice in my spare time.

83 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Appreciated, thanks Bart :smiley:

1 Like

Beautifully done! I really like overall image. Would you care to share some details? Like lighting/rendering settings and post process?

1 Like

Thanks for your kind comment.
Nothing special here Just an HDRI for the environment and a weak Area light behind the camera to help reduce noise.
Render settings are at default except I increased Transmission for the glass to about 6 or 7 bounces.
Clamping is set to 9 for both direct and indirect bounces.
I used only glare and denoise in Blender composite then took it into Gimp for some Brightness and contrast+colour correction then added a low sharpness filter.
I also use ACES display for colour management which you need to install into Blender…this is superior to Filimic as highlights/bright areas are not clamped…they tend to have a dull greyish appearance with Filmic much less ‘Realistic’ look. Hope this was helpfull :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks for your reply with the details of your process. I usually use Luxcore for rendering since it produces more pleasing images in my opinion, but your portfolio (they are all great!) convinced me to give Cycles a try again.

1 Like

I’ve used Both Luxcore and Corona in the past because I wasn’t pleased with the results I was getting with Cycles but I moved back to Cycles when Corona became unusable through lack of support for Blender…I stuck at it and it certainly pays…it’s definitely possible to get just as good results from Cycles once you know all its nuances and little tricks…I was convinced Cycles was not capable of producing images with the same quality as Corona, Maxwell, Vray etc but I was wrong so I say stick at it and it will come. :smiley:

2 Likes

I will definitely give it a try! Thanks,

1 Like

You’re on the #featured row! :+1:

2 Likes

Wow!!
Looks 1000% real!
Good job! :grinning:

1 Like

It’s just beautiful. But I don’t understand the infatuation for imperfections with artists. The mirror looks so dirty that is hardy ever seen in real life. Even if I take a picture of my irty mirror it doesn’t look that dirty. It’s like to make thigns realistic, artists add too much imperfections that speaks “hey it’s a render, look at this imperfection.”

Instead of making the imperfections this prominent, it should be subtle. People actually keep their clean home and so it will be real hard to find such an unclean surface. The imperfections should be subtle.

1 Like

It looks fantastic. I’m also curious about your little tricks to make it look as good as commercial render engines. Do you think you could make a comparison to a filmic render?

Hi Claus,
The only difference you would see would be a washed out look to the bright whites and less vibrant colours with filmic.
Aces has a wider colour range and also built in LUT tables. This may seem small but it makes a huge difference to the realism but the ‘little tricks’ are in the details.
For instance the bench and the mirror are sculpted from a basic model (only in closeups obviously).
The wall outside is displaced with a very dense mesh.
If I had more time I would do a comparison but I don’t have GPU(old graphics card) so it too nearly 4 hrs to render. Hope this helps :smiley:

Thanks.

Aces doesn’t “have” a wider colour range. It just handles the tonemapping differently. You should be able to get the exact same range out of both. I was mainly curious about any lighting tricks. Would you mind sending a packed blend?

Ok I should have said more ‘vibrant’ colours to be more accurate.
If you send me instruction on how to do this, I will send you the scene but I assure you there are no lighting tricks just a decent hdri and an Area light in the scene.

The rugged wooden piece of furniture is especially attractive: the wood textures are very believable, and I’d like to have such a piece of real-world urniture in my foyer. One thing that I would do is to introduce some more color, such as a light blue or red. For instance, among the trees in the distance. Or, paint the door frame or the back wall. Put colorful pottery on the table.

Thank for the feedback Usernew,
the imperfections were less obvious in earlier renders, they became more obvious when I altered the lighting and didn’t notice until half way through the final render.
But I can live with it :smiley:

Thankyou sundialsvc4,
Yea the wood took a long time to get right, just scouring the internet for a decent wood texture took long enough.
Ha I’ll leave as is for this one, it took nearly 4 hrs to render(no GPU) but you’re right about adding a little colour but then every render I do I feel I should have done this or added that or added this :smiley:

You can use “patch” rendering to fix it without having to re-render the whole scene. Also, can you show us how you did the water in the pot here: Accurate liquid in glass rendering - #48 by Calandro

I’m intrigued, can you explain ‘patch’ rendering please.

2 Likes