Epicyclic

Epicyclic gear mechanism. This was almost a month of work.
Blender was used for everything.

Check out the rest of the media here:
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/ykN4Rx

113 Likes

Amazing! really like and superb materials too.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

That is incredibly amazing! :+1:t2: :ribbon:
What was the process of making something like this? Where did you even begin?

1 Like

Awesome! Is this a simulation or did you animate it in a more traditional way (drivers, keyframes etc)?

1 Like

BEAUTIFUL mechanism! The movement is mesmerizing, I love it! Did you do all the modeling by hand based on numbers or did you use some kind of generator tool? If it took a month I’m guessing the former- I haven’t examined it closely but the topology in the wireframe looks great too!

1 Like

Wow, this is sick, like your other models. And cherry on top are that this are clean poly modelling, without boolean mess :slightly_smiling_face: Top row work.

1 Like

@Meshmonkey
There’s no simulation, it’s all drivers. It’s possible to simulate gears in blender but the result is jerky and unappealing. Drivers are perfect for gears.

3 Likes

@MaxGrey369
It’s involute gear geometry. I used the “gear planing” (also called “moving rack”) method.
There are involute geometry generators, but the number of points you get isn’t very usable unless you don’t mind 50k verts per-gear.
You can also use the generators and manually dissolve the vertices, but at that point you’re probably in for more work than if you use the gear-planing method.

2 Likes

how you manage to model the gears? i see that curved shape complicated, did you used shrinkwrap for fixing pinching?..

@ArtAvenue
“Where did you even begin?”
An octahedron :slight_smile:
The octahedron is the only regular polyhedron that, if you place a gear on every one of its faces, they will rotate. If you look at the assembly animation you’ll notice that there’s a core with 8 gear around it. It’s fundamentally an octahedron with modifications.

2 Likes

@MichaelBenDavid
It’s common-vanishing-point bevel geometry:

5 Likes

Now i only wanna to become a cyber robot

1 Like

hmm, but you didnt answer my question :sweat_smile:…i dont mean the gear bevels…

@MichaelBenDavid
Which part did you mean?

the curved surface of the gear, also i guess the twisting of the gear you did it with the simple deform modifier, or another way?

Print it in 3D!!!

2 Likes

@MichaelBenDavid The helical form is indeed the simple deform modifier. You just have to make sure you add some edge loops along the axis of rotation of you’ll get the candy wrapper effect.
The curved part is an intersection with a sphere. I didn’t use the raw output of a boolean, but I did use the surface as an alignment tool

2 Likes

So you made the flat faces of the gear to shrinkwrap into a sphere, yeah that’s what i would do, thanks :smiley:

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

@bartv thanks!