Error launching on steam: Invalid app configuration

I can’t launch Blender on steam anymore with the play button. Running the executable in the install directory works just fine, but it is not recognized on Steam as a running program. Any others experiencing this issue? I’d like to fix this.

I’ve seen two other people here on BA complain about it. And there are hundreds on Steam itself; this seems to be the main thread; there are many:

Fixing it will have to wait until whoever is responsible fixes whatever went wrong.

Best fix IMO, don’t run it through Steam in the first place. I like Steam, I use Steam for games, and I can see why one might want to use Steam for apps that one can otherwise only purchase via subscription, but I don’t see the point with Blender. It’s a lot more flexible to install it directly.

2 Likes

It is even more flexible if you don’t install it at all and simply run the portable version.

1 Like

Good point. I mostly don’t use portables because of our setup here, but yeah, that might be just the thing for a single user who just wants things to work out of the box.

1 Like