Error! Unsupported graphics card or driver : blender without nvidia proprietary driver?

hello

here i have a nicely vpcz1 (pcg-31112M) vaio with dual intel/nvidia cards
i dont use much nvidia, as it’s synonym of heating + closed-source towarded strategy.
i have heard lot of times linux/opensource was not a nvidia friend.

however, i tried on this laptop, to run blender, where even glxgears open/runs well, as a opengl support, as what blender is supposed to accept.

problem is, it blocks on that error messge :

Error! Unsupported graphics card or driver.
A graphics card and driver with support for OpenGL 3.3 or higher is required.
The program will now close.

i have tried with different tar.gz versions of blender, it’s always the same.
it’s a fresh linux mint, debian edition installation, with no proprietary driver (at least for GPU), and i dont want to (im not a friend of nvidia, you guess i havent choose my hardware). But i still want to know, without proprietary/nouveau, how to run blender?

i thank you vm
various hw informations are here :

What version of Blender are you trying to run? Your GPU doesn’t meet current minimum standards, so you might have to use an older version of Blender.

i think it would be the last one

but… without launching that program in console, there were no error popup/window
would be infinitely great to have a kind of “you’re running a recent version of blender requiring opengl version 3, your hardware/software conf permits only opengl version 2.5, please downgrade blender to version 2.6 instead of 3.0” :smiley:

Your hardware specs aren’t showing up for me in the first post. It literally ends with “various hw informations are here :” I did look up the laptop though, so I’ll be working off that.

Just to be clear, does this question mean:

1. I still want to know, without [either proprietary or nouveau], how to run blender on the integrated Intel GPU only.
  2. I still want to know, [without proprietary, using nouveau], how to run blender on the dedicated GPU.

My first reading was that you were using neither, but I feel it’s worth checking.
Even if the first option is correct, I’d still recommend the open source nouveau drivers.

Your dedicated GPU appears to be a GeForce GT 330M. At 1GB VRAM it just about makes the minimum requirements for 2.8/2.81 (though not 2.81a), but is below the threshold for CUDA support (starts from GeForce 4xx), so would still be CPU rendering only. Depending on the specs of the Intel card, you should probably be fine with 2.79 for either card, but if not you can keep going down from there until you find what works.

I think blender 2.79b is the stable version without GPU constraints.
But to use the latest features, we need a GPU to match it.

For every program there is always a requirements info page… some applications just do not start at all when they aren’t meet… (for example if any VisualC or NET or whatever library isn’t installed…)…

Also: any -verbose or -loglevel x parameters aren’t the default… they are always optional or non existenent.

:person_shrugging: :smiley_cat: