Espresso

http://www.sirfragalot.com/blender-files/espresso.jpg

Espresso cup with spoon on white cloth table.

Some problems I’m looking for help with:

1/ I cannot get the spoon to cast a strong shadow…

2/ I’m having problems getting the materials ramp colour to work at all. The coffee stains should be dark centred fading to the cloth colour.

I intend to offset the drabness of the colour with a red rose some time.

Interesting.

I think the spoon is castings a hard to see shadow becase your lighting has too soft shadow edges to get a strong one.

As far your colour ramps, I suspect you don’t entirely get the point. Those ramps are affect of light casting - What you want is an inverted blotting effect, no? I can’t think of any way to acheive that according to a shape in blender except with an image texture…

OK - here’s take 2 with rose (which I rather like). I’ll work on the stain and shadows:

one word OSA

I rendered it with OSA 16.

What do you mean?

the shadow look pixely so do some of the edges might just be me

Thats probably the dither caused by the area light which is givung the shadow a pixalated element, try uping the area light samples, i think. (don’t quote me that)

Well lights were the problem. There’s an area light and a spot light. I can’t find any way of increasing the no. samples in the area light but moving the spotlight solved the problem.

Take 3:

I still can’t get the spoon to cast a shadow…

much better try putting a really dim lamp above or near the spoon

Looking good, its improving well, yeah another lamp above the spoon is a good idea, u can adjust the light to cast only a shadow if u don’t want to saturate the scene in more light.

No. A light just above and behind it (area or spot) still produces no shadows. Traceable is on for the spoon.

send me the .blend [email protected] i wanna mess with the lights

Version 4:

http://www.sirfragalot.com/blender-files/espresso4.jpg

Still no luck with shadows on the spoon.

I’m going to change the cloth table top to a glass table top so I can play around with reflections and elaborate, scrolled metal legs.

Also a touch of steam from the coffee. Should I be looking at the particle system for that?

Nice work on the coffee and the table as well as the drop on the spoon and the stain. For steam if you know how to use particles it would make a real nice effect.

Real light wouldn’t behave like that, you know. %| Look at the light, for yourself, critically, and tell me if you could ever actually light a scene like that.

And the petal of that rose would never be allowed to be in deep shadow. Nor would the front of the cup. The lighting setup might not have one single pure-white light in it.

Before you make any changes whatsoever to the models, concentrate strictly and solely on the lighting.

I agree about the light. I’m pretty certain the base of the shadow should be darker - but I’m getting the opposite effect.

Lighting is something I need to work on.

There’s actually a total of 3 lights here including one in place solely to light the rose and cast the sharp shadows within the petals. Needs more work though you’re right.

Still no ideas why the spoon casts no shadow.

Y’know… I’m wondering 'bout that spoon shadow… er shadow-lack. did you put the spoon in one layer, and then have the light only cast shadows on objects in its layer?
Because Lights can be set to affect only objects in a single layer… so maybe your spoon is in a layer with a light all on its own or something… Well I know it’s happend to me, when I must have accidentally pressed the “layer” button. maybe you’ve got it too? can’t say much else without seeing the actual file.

Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:50 am Post subject:

Y’know… I’m wondering 'bout that spoon shadow… er shadow-lack. did you put the spoon in one layer, and then have the light only cast shadows on objects in its layer?
Because Lights can be set to affect only objects in a single layer… so maybe your spoon is in a layer with a light all on its own or something… Well I know it’s happend to me, when I must have accidentally pressed the “layer” button. maybe you’ve got it too? can’t say much else without seeing the actual file.

tahts it he sent me the .blend ill mess with it

No, it’s not that. The spotlight is in a separate layer which creates the shadows on the vase and coffe glass both of which are in separate layers - it should be casting a shadow from the spoon.