Every day everyday objects

8 May 2021: Torch

11 Likes

9 May 2021: Chilli Sauce

11 Likes

Hey! How did you do the grips with those pattern!

1 Like

I took the easy route with the knurling on this one. I’ve modelled knurling in the past, but it’s difficult to get right. The knurling on these torch handles is just done with a normal map. Knurling isn’t particularly deep in real life so there’s often no need for it to be actually geometry.

2 Likes

10 May 2021: GU10 Spotlight Bulb

7 Likes

11 May 2021: Japanese Pull Saw

8 Likes

It would be really awesome if after like 3 months, you put them all together into like a messy garage scene.

2 Likes

I’m doing an end of month render each month. Last month’s was a little light just because of when I started. A giant scene with everything does sound good for when it comes to an end though.

7 Likes

Bit of a low effort job today… both in terms of modelling and texturing. I’ll try and pick something more challenging tomorrow. The whole self-imposed challenge is all about getting something done each day, so I’ll take this as a win anyway, despite not being very happy with it.

12 May 2021: (Rubbish) Pliers

5 Likes

13 May 2021: Old Hand Drill

5 Likes

Bonus render showing the chuck unscrewed

7 Likes

I’ve been watching this thread. It feels like I got a free subscription to an expensive magazine.
Even better, it’s daily too.

2 Likes

Thank you kindly. I’m enjoying doing this self-imposed challenge. It’s great for practice and I think I have learned something useful from most of the things I’ve attempted. It’s also good to know if I reach a day where my motivation is low I only need to find something very simple to keep the ball rolling. I’m looking forward to getting to the end of this month to see 31 things all laid out and rendered together.

2 Likes

If I felt like I had the time, maybe I would do this too. Maybe someday I will.

I was wondering about the chilli sauce. I have never done something like this before. How do you make it look like thick liquid inside glass? Is it volumetric? Or do you make use of a texture to control the alpha?

1 Like

The sauce was just handled with a bit of subsurface scattering. No volume stuff. No transmission. It looks completely different and wrong outside the bottle, but seems to work OK when viewed behind the glass

3 Likes

14 May 2021: Scalpel

6 Likes

15 May 2021: Cards

Quick easy one today

5 Likes

16 May 2021: Chemist/Pharmacy medicine bag

Not 100% happy with the look of the material. Paper bags are hard

3 Likes

Well, it’ the only thing that’s not as real as any other here.

Okay, let’s say it’s a kind of plastic bag !! :slight_smile:

(It seems to be impossible to like a whole thread; only singles post, so :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: and a like for your plastic bag :wink: )

2 Likes

17 May 2021: Tap Wrench

Back to hunting down objects I own with knurling :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes