Everything nodes

I was talking about those “tree” things in the video, but the technical writeup about events and the like is welcome. It does highlight the severe lack of various functionality in the system this one is replacing though, when this early work is already more powerful in a number of cases.

1 Like

It’s a combination of that fact that it is still unfinished, combined with the fact that an event-based node system (particles, logic) is different than a data-oriented system (modifiers, Shading, compositing)

2 Likes

I don’t think all systems necessarily need to reside in one shared node space, because it would create a lot of new problems to solve. But it is crucial to be able to somehow share the data in between them. For example I should be able to access particle nodes data as points to use with modifier nodes. So I can for example mesh a particle simulation and throw a bunch of modifier nodes on top.

1 Like

Cool, I can get used to it. I was just guessing maybe it would look more like the other node systems when it is finished. However, if it has a design where one socket can have multiple inputs (like the effectors input), a different icon should represent those sockets (maybe three smaller dots?). A lot of folks wouldn’t realize multiple inputs could fit into those sockets.

1 Like

Hi, i have a noob question, what happens to the data-block and fake user system when everything becomes nodes, will it be replaced or just becomes a one higher layer to encompass these nodes?

2 Likes

Probably built on the same system. Before Blender 2.50, Blender’s Outliner had an “OOPS” schematic that basically showed the nodal relationships between datablocks in your .blend file. Because it’s basically a database, the existing datastructures have always lent themselves well to node-based visualization. I personally have been waiting for the return of a more powerful OOPS schematic for a long time and I’m hopeful that Everything Nodes is the way to that.

4 Likes

at first i didn’t know what you mean by “OOPS” schematic, i thought it’s something like the Node editor that we have now but it seems more granular, wasn’t that useful that they had to nuke it? & thanks for the answer btw.

Yeah… it was more of a data visualization tool than anything really functional. However, from a training/education point of view, it’s invaluable in helping explain how datablocks actually work and give a glimpse into the power they facilitate.

yeah, i think it would be nice to bring it back especially for rigging nodes,constraints…etc to visualize and debug rigs and what not, maybe should be a subset of the “node editor”!

1 Like

Node-based constraints and kinematics is about a lot more than just bringing back the ‘oops’ view (schematic view is the standard term for that, and many 3d apps have had that since the mid 90s)

That was just a way to visually view the hierarchy. Node-based constraints allows for more powerful ways to define relationships to begin with.

2 Likes

I never said otherwise.

Guys, I was loosely following this topic and write ups done by Jacque and I don’t know if I missed anything related to particles collision (collision between particles). Is this planed in the scope of this project?

Or even something like distribution with bounding boxes or something?

1 Like

Collisions between particles is not in the scope of what I’m doing right now. That is not to say, that you’ll never be able to simulate things like Sand in Blender. It’s just a fairly different kind of particle system with different use cases. Both kinds of systems could interact, but trying to make a super generic solver probably means that it will not be great at anything due to too many compromises (usability would probably suffer as well).

That’s my opinion for now at least, maybe it will change as I gain more experience.

8 Likes

Thanks for clarification!

And what about scattering with bounding boxes? Is this the same thing as particles collision?

I’m not sure what you mean with “scattering with bounding boxes” exactly.
If you mean, that you want to scatter particles with a minimum distance between them, then yes. This is definitely in the scope of the system (but not yet implemented).

5 Likes

Yes, exactly this. Superb! Thanks again for answers and for your great work! Keep it going :wink:

1 Like

From Jacques on the BL mailing list today :slight_smile:

I intend to continue to work on the new particle system in the next
couple of months. It is unlikely that we can release this in Blender
2.81, mainly due to missing features. Releasing it in Blender 2.82 might
be possible. It should be stable and usable by then, but it will
probably still lack many features. Maybe other developers are interested
in contributing to it as well. I happily help them to get started with
this project.

It would be good if we could merge some of the
particle-system-independent code from the functions branch already. That
mainly includes some c++ data structures I developed in the process. I
already prepared D4966, but need to update it again. Other encapsulated
code of the functions branch could be merged as well, but it makes more
sense to wait until it is actually used by e.g. the particle system.

Besides that I want to continue designing what I like to call
“simulations as first class citizens” in Blender. I already wrote some
documents [1] on the topic, but there are still to many unknowns.

Finally, I will also help reviewing the code written for the procedural
shading GSOC project.

13 Likes

Considering we might be on 2.84 or even 2.85 by this time next year (at least according to the plan to resume 2-3 month release cycles), the new particles will come to master sooner than we think. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi Jacques,

i tried your functions branch copiled it and the function nodes appears but after hitting ctrl + A and slecting a node (doesnt matter which one) a error appears.
The branch is up to date.
error:

Ran 5 tests in 0.002s

OK
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "D:\blender_git\build_windows_Full_x64_vc15_Release\bin\Debug\2.81\scripts\startup\nodes\search.py", line 31, in execute
    idname, settings = decode_search_item(self.item)
  File "D:\blender_git\build_windows_Full_x64_vc15_Release\bin\Debug\2.81\scripts\modules\bpy_types.py", line 675, in __getattribute__
    return getattr(properties, attr)
UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf-8' codec can't decode byte 0xdb in position 0: invalid continuation byte

maby someone could help me out and solved this error.

Will check this tomorrow.
Better tell me about such bugs on blender.chat.