Excess light problem

First off, hi everyone! This is my first post and I’m a bit of a Blender noob so bear with me :slight_smile:

Now, I have been creating a model that needs to float on water and so today I got round to creating the water.

The model without water turns out fine (I can’t seem to upload any pictures…). I’m very much a beginner but the lighting works out fine and everything looks pretty good. However, after I create the water mesh and give it a glass texture and then render it, the scene is alot brighter. I thought that must’ve just been down to the water reflecting lots of the light back so I turned down the power of a lamp, re-rendered, no change. I turned the power down even more, no change. I removed a lamp (I had three), no change. It turns out, as long as I have a light ‘somewhere nearby’, it doesnt matter if the power is 0.0000001 or 10000, there is always far too much light.

I’m using Luxrender internally as that is what I have experience with but I can’t upload any files or pictures for some reason so sorry about that…

Any help would be great!

Ben

(I can’t seem to upload any pictures…).

Yes, you need 10 posts to pass anti spam forum feature.

Ah right… well thanks for letting me know!

Not familiar with Luxrender but - what type of lights are you using (sun, spot etc.)?
Maybe you can try to render it in Cycles and see what happens?

I’m using area lamps, I guess I could give it a shot with Cycles, never used it and figured I’d have to create new materials on it though which I didn’t really want to do. I’ll try it in a bit I think, thanks.