Experimenting with 'Featured' badge visibility

I realise that, but let’s see how many ‘false positives’ we end up with first. An alternative solution is to let moderators manually award such badges, but that’s a bit more work for them.

@Fweeb could you look in to that?

Patreon supporters :slight_smile:

Migration supporters

Those who has been around for 10y+

WEC winners

Addon developers

“Higer up” people like andrew, yan, ton etc

So admins would only like posts in the coding category with the authors actually writing an addon ? Is it necessarily free ? Paid scripted also ?

Not clear who will get thoses scripted badges

Since this is a support forum, could users who are the most give support/help to have any kind of remarkable visible reward?
Of course I do not mean myself, I do not offer even 1% of the quality support that other users give. But I would like those users to be rewarded.

How would you define/quantify that? Basically there would need to be some kind of database ‘rule’ for this.

Maybe, there could be a badge for users who have 20 solution or more? Right now there is no badge assosicated with solution info. And that badge could be featured if user wanted.

1 Like

That could work yes, I’ll see if I can pull that from the DB

What do you mean?

I thought users will have option to display/feature those icons next to username, no? Because I suspect some users will be eligible for lots of those badges and which icon will be featured? All of them?

Ah, no. This is a site-wide option, but we control which badges can be displayed here - that way we can still keep the list sane (I’d say a max of 5 badges?)

1 Like

I was about to propose that. The only problem is that the same user who opened the thread, can mark his own message as the solution, which I think is right and this should continue in the same way. But this (own solution) should not count in the merits to obtain the reward, not because it does not deserve it in some cases, but to avoid abuses.

1 Like

About that: those “About” threads are also used to auto-populate the text for the sections and categories on the main forum page. I found that out when updating the one for the Jobs section (and made it excessively long the first time).

It’s off-topic from this thread, so maybe we should start a new one, but is that kind of text something we one on the main page?

I found some performance issues with this theme component - it resulted in a LOT of server load as it was querying the badges for all users in topics. For larger topics this became problematic. I have disabled it for now and will track progress.

1 Like

i did a thread related to this new badge system but not for feature art so i split the topic

1 Like

speaking about the “reward” importance of badges in this topic,

This component has been fixed and I have resumed this test. The ‘Featured’ and ‘Add-on Developer’ badges are back!

1 Like

how if the new user will have this:
bandicam%202019-07-20%2009-13-32-205

There is no ‘new user’ badge. However, higher level users will see a message when a new, or longtime inactive user posts a message.

can i have an addon dev badge ? :slight_smile:
i did thoses two :

Ah! I forgot one critical component: a moderator or staff member has to ‘like’ your post (this acts as a confirmation that you are indeed an add-on developer). I just did that on your posts and ran the update (usually it runs only once every 24 hours).

@moderators can you help out by liking initial posts in the #coding:released-scripts-and-themes forum?

2 Likes