Export Animation from Blender to Lightwave 3D

Hi there! Only been doing this for about 6 months now, and am completely new to this forum!
A friend introduced me to all of this (Blender, UE5, Maya, etc…) but he loves what Lightwave 3D is still able to do with its render capabilities.
I’ve looked all over for help, but can’t seem to correctly export my scene in blender 4.0, to the latest Lightwave edition that he uses to “polish it up” the way he likes to.

Any help for directly exporting multiple animations from Blender to Lightwave would be huuuuuuge to me, please!

Thanks y’all!
Bud

Welcome :tada:

…but every program uses it’s own file format and if this is not open or well known and nowbody does make any export/ importer then this will not work…

That’s the reason why there are some interchange formats… in 3D… for object ( like the wavefronr OBJ format :wink: ) and very new for scenes ( USD ?) and material ( MXF ?)… but of course both programs have to support the fomats in all it’s ascpects…

So you might have to look into the documentation of every one involved…

1 Like

I don’t have the latest version of LightWave 3D to test but you should be able to import an FBX into Layout.

1 Like

Use the .mdd exporter which is a native Lightwave format. It will export your animation as a mesh cache. I used this method for many projects in the past between Blender and Modo, it will work with Lightwave too. You might need to enable the add-on which comes with Blender.

You can use the FBX or the GLTF formats for the non mesh exports like the camera animation etc.

2 Likes

I did the .mdd export, and he told me that the “file wasn’t there” …? So I’m wondering if maybe I just missed something in the process of exporting it that way, or if it’s no longer applicable cause when I tried it, I was doing my best to follow a Youtube tutorial from 6,000 years ago.

Like I say, I just dove into this kind of work 6 months ago or so, so if you recommend it, then I’ll definitely give it another shot. Thank you!

I also have Lightwave, so I’ll try exporting it, then opening my program first on my end before Dropboxing it over. Thank you!

Just got the pop-up explaining how to reply to all y’all at once - my bad guys. But to give you an idea of my limited workflow, I rigged the characters in Iclone 8, animated them, then sent them over to the environment (or city setting I created) in Blender. I thought I’d try to export them back to Iclone 8, and then go from Iclone 8 to Lightwave (since there were pretty simple, straightforward tuts on Youtube for that process) but when I tried that, only 1 character’s animation came over from Blender to Iclone…

Am I hopeless at this kinda thing??? Yikes

That’s the problem for people using a computer all over the world are facing when using different tools for different things going back and force… how to exchange the data so that the benefits of a tool transport to the next. :person_shrugging:

That’s in fact a reason why blender is so interesting… it is not brillant in every aspect… but when you have imported some data then you can do a lot of things before you export them… for some people the import is in fact done with mouse and tablet and the export is the image or animation they want to make…