export blender to rhino

Hey there,

I did a 3D modeling in blender and managed to export it so that it can be imported in Rhino. However it is not editable anymore… Rhino imports one single polygonmesh I guess. Is there a way to export from blender into rhino without losing editability of the mesh? …or to convert my polygonmesh into editable curves?

The reason why I’d like to export the blender model into rhino is to convert my blender 3D model in a parasolid (.x_t) file. The polygonmesh that I imported from blender may not be saved as such. Any suggestions how to do that?

What format are you using? If DXF, maybe Rhino can work with it more easily (it was originally intended as an AutoCAD-killer app.) However, blender’s DXF output quality is uncertain - STL is much more robust in my experience. Perhaps a translator to covert, then import?

However, your biggest challenge will be getting Rhino to stitch your polys into a solid model. I don’t honestly think Rhino can even do that. There are hi-end solid modelers that routinely stitch surface geometry into solid entities, but I don’t think even they can use simple poly geometry to do so.

Cekuhnen (a user here) pointed out in another thread that the program Amapi Pro had the ability to swap between poly surfaces and NURBS surfaces. Perhaps this is an option for you… if you can get your model into NURBS, you’ll have a much better chance of stitching it together into a solid model.

Not sure what all it can do, but a free app with more (than blender) support for NURBS is Ayam. Perhaps it could help you along the way…

thanks mzungu for your answer! I can export VRML, STL or 3ds… Your right, the hard thing is to convert a polymesh into a solid model! rhino has a plug in for that… but it cost a lot of money…

I’ll check out Ayam.

What is the Rhino plug in to convert a polymesh into a solid model?