Export Collections In USD

Hey,

I’m looking to export a model through USD, however, when I do so it loses all the collection information. I want to be able to keep my imports to other software generally clean with this workflow. Is this something that isn’t possible or am I missing a step.

All I’m doing is selecting my objects (in collections) and then exporting them as .usdc. Pretty much default settings except selection only.

Thanks,
Mitchell

Afraid not…Exports generally do not export with UI settings unless you export and import to the same software. The only thing maintained through export is the Texture Location, which is attached to the mesh data.

The best thing you can do is to change your workflow to begin with.
Create a project folder and name it appropriately.

In that folder, you will save your Blend File and any exports to other software.
Also, create another folder called Textures, and save your textures to it.

On import to other software, the new UI will see the export and also see the texture folder and know where to find things…

You can have textures, say in some other location, and reference them in Blender, as well as in the export but usually that will fail as the folder structure in the new software can’t find things since it does not exist next to the exported file…

This doesn’t feel right. Exports from other software to USD generally keep their group structure from the outliner. Seems like Blender is the only one that doesn’t do that? Maybe it just needs to be incorporated into the USD exporter

Did you by any chance find a workaround for this @MWoodin ?
This is bugging me as well right now, especially since the usd Format apparently is able to work with parenting and hirarchical/grouped structures. Both things i dont really get to work exporting atm.

Kind of. Just not with collections. The easiest way is by using the machinetools addon (which i think is free i dont remember)

This video explains the use of grouping really well:

2 Likes