Export Geometry Nodes scatter as an instancer via Alembic or USD?

I have a scatter created using Distribute points on faces and instance on points. It creates a scatter with over 30,000 instances. I need to get this into Maya, but Maya keeps locking up trying to process that many outliner objects. Is it possible to export this as a point instancer in USD or Alembic format so that Maya can open it up as such?

Something like this should do it?

Hope that helps.

Actually It seems that both exporters dont export any attributes.

I can only test by re-importing to blender as meshlab doesn’t handle usd or alembic. So I dont even know if they are being written or the importers are ignoring the data.

Maybe it will work with maya?

Thanks! I am going to give this a go shortly. I will report back as to whether it works. My fear is that the attributes will be stripped on export. But I will find out shortly.

1 Like

It should in theory export these!

I tested a basic version and it does not appear to export it as a point instancer. The problem is that geometry nodes create (wait for it :slight_smile:) geometry.

To see if I could use vertices instead (and attach attributes like you suggested) I tried attaching attributes to points and to vertices without much luck.

Opening up the USDA file in a text editor shows that it did not attach the custom attributes. Same with alembic (though I just used abcecho to list the properties, so that may be less reliable). I am unable to open either in Maya and get anything other than an empty shape node. Re-importing to Blender also comes up with all custom properties seemingly stripped from the geometry.

I may try playing with this a bit more later in the day (maybe fbx stores custom attributes?). Thanks for your help so far.

1 Like

I think this is a bug.

I dont think blender is exporting any attributes, custom or vertex with alembic.

I know I have imported a coronavirus .abc before and it came through with protien attributes color etc.

Might be worth a bug report as it not a plugin, its part of blender afaiks.

edit>>

https://developer.blender.org/T50725

I may have a workaround with python and attributes though.

Thanks!

Would you be able to post your python code? I am comfortable in the language and might be able to adapt it.

Somewhere in here.

If you reply to me, try to use @AlphaChannel , then I get a notification.

I only stumbled on yr reply today for other reasons