Export Paper Model

You’re welcome, and that’s ok there’s no need to hurry.

Often the glueing tabs need to be folded one way or another as well. In some cases it seems quite crucial to do that before glueing parts together so your model won’t get deformed. You need to have the Blender 3D model as a reference to figure it out, a step which would be easier when the folding lines are already present.

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/161/c/0/glueingtabs01_by_tumtidum-d3ij3gx.png

Admittedly just folding the tabs both ways makes parts “fall-together” more easily as well, solving part of this possible deforming problem.

Oh, I didn’t know that. Quite handy! :yes:

I’m not sure if that’s really such a wrong approach, the fact it works out-of-the box without (too) many (complicated) settings makes it easy to use, also for not so experienced Blenderheads / Papercraft-builders which is a good thing in my opinion.

[INDENT]

Render time: 0.125s; BVH preprocessing: 2 days[/INDENT]
After a pretty long break I returned to papercraft. In order to begin from the roots I decided to make another monkey head. This time without the funny voronoi texture, but with much increased polycount: this model has 588 triangles. Still, it’s far from the original Suzanne (968 tris), but I think I’m getting closer :slight_smile:

EDIT: Here is the PDF ready for printing. My script does not generate description tags yet, but I hope it will be easy to work out where to stick which parts of this well known model.

Attachments

Firstly, Tumtidum, after working on this Suzanne I totally agree that the folding lines for tabs are needed. The only problem there is that perhaps somebody would want to move the sticker tabs around. Currently, the script places them at random and writes them as separate shapes, so that they can be easily edited. Stupid approach, I admit.

As you may notice, I added a “proof of concept” interface for output islands preview. So, one of its purposes will be setting a special priority value, making such marked island attract the sticker tabs. You could increase this value for small detail parts you are planning to stick later, for example. I hope it will be flexible enough so that we won’t need to move the tabs by hand anymore.
Then, I’ll make the tabs being drawn just the same as all other faces, but with a light gray background and a tiny label: user-defined ID of the island it should be sticked on. It is important to distinguish the tabs from normal faces, but I hope that background color will do the job.

After this, I’ll go for a big redesign: I would like to try creating the net by joining faces instead of cutting them apart. I expect mainly a speed gain from it; lately, I’ve edited the current algorithm to be more (ehm… usably) stable, but as a side effect it is now unbearably slow. I’ll write technical details on the wiki soon, for anybody interested.

A last thing I would like to manage during this summer is to prepare a BMesh-compatible version. Like others here, I’m beginning to believe… :slight_smile:

Hi emu, I would like to ask you about your script “Armature from mesh” that generates bone to each face.
Mostly I got model as drawing in curves that is quite easy to transfer to a faced mesh.
But one side is usually presented by several faces so result of the script is not what I would love to.

Q: Is it possible to let the script think about F-gons?
Thanks for info.

Tomorrow I will post sample.

OK, here it is . . .

http://blender.howto.cz/blender-links/f-gon-armature/Box-PIX29.blend

http://blender.howto.cz/blender-links/f-gon-armature/F-gons-serial-small.jpg

Your script works brilliant for me if I do book covers, opening invitation cards or leaflets.
For basic cover it is done just in a three steps - Import Image as Plane >*Cut plane to three faces > Run your script and Rigged book cover is done. It’s really helpful. Thank you again.
For model with like this it would be fantastic if script can work with F-gons.

Thanks for some informations.

I’ve just discover and test your script. Great work!!! Thanks
Paolo

Good idea and after all, this was pretty easy to do. You can get the updated script now from GitHub directly. Does it work as you meant?

Obviously, the script can’t flatten the mesh if the fgons themselves aren’t flat. In such case, the output pose is fairly random.

Hahaaaa :slight_smile: Thanks man :slight_smile: Almost perfect :slight_smile: F-gon works

I just got some problem that I don’t know where does it came from. Please see attachment. By green are highlighted unwanted bones, also connection is strange. On the right side is result that I wanted.

One cosmetic note: size of a bones is created from first face of F-gon (from root on edge to a tip in a center of face). In some cases it creates very small bones.
Does it a big problem to let the script place tips of a bones to the center of the F-gon?

Can be the hole problem? When I mark sharp side’s F-gons there is not problem (It is not wat I wanted, but script works correctly). Or can be a problem extrude bones to all four sides from the root bone?

Thank you

I just discovered it tonight 10/22/11. I do remember a paper unfolding script for 2.4x but I cannot recall where it was. In any case I am rather rushed right now so I am posting this very quickly. I will follow this thread religiously from now on.

Most particularly I am interested in the script that places armatures INSIDE a mesh and opens it up. I think from my brief scanning of this thread that is what one of these scripts does. I need that particular kind of effect for a game and an animation I am working on. Later guys and keep up the good work

Ok I tried the Convert to armature script on the default blender cube. It flattend the cube and added bones but it seems as though the way it is supposed to unfold the cube is not determined by the script. I could move 4 of the five bones 90 degrees and get the cube back the way it originally looked but when I did that the top of the cube deform back to its original shape instead of 'folding" back to its original position.

I am sure I am doing something wrongly. YES I have downloaded and made pdfs of all 5 pages in this thread I intend to read them over tonight, but just scanning them it is diffuclt to tell when someone is speaking about the paper unfold EXPORT script and when they are talking about the one that use armatures to unfold the mesh. Also its hard to find information since it is all spread out over 5 pages of the thread.

I really need some simple and specific instructions.

Hi, Shaba, and sorry - this armature script is really just for testing now. This thread is about the Export Paper Model script; I hope that one has some usable instructions.

However, the armature script is just a thing requested by vklidu a while ago and I am still not sure about its future. I haven’t written a wiki page about it yet.

You don’t have to read the whole thread, as most of the information is already outdated. Regarding the armature script, the single most important post is this:

But thanks for your feedback anyway: I will write basic documentation of this armature script… till the end of this week :wink:

I would like to help if you need someone to edit it into conversational/normal english. I know english is not your first language and I know nothing of czhek(sp) but I am good at explaining technical things in really simple terms so even the most unknowlegeble people can understand them.

Fantastic script, thanks! Will it work with Blender 2.60?

I created a page about the Convert to Armature script: it is here on the Blender wiki.

Well, that might be really useful, thanks!
Do you have a wiki account? If so, feel free to edit my wiki pages directly, or otherwise just post your edited text on PasteAll.

Yes, both the scripts do work with blender from 2.57 to 2.60a.

http://robives.com/media/blendererrors.jpgI’m getting this series of error when I try and convert my shape using Make Unfoldable command. Any ideas what I’m doing wrong? thanks! (Blender 2.60 on a Mac)

This error should read better something like “There is something wrong with geometry of your model”. Perhaps there is a face with zero area or something like that.

Try removing double vertices, recalculating normals outside and converting quads to triangles.

I’ve tried editing the seams on a model but is doesn’t seem to affect the output. Is it possible to override the export so that I can specify how a model is cut up?
Alternatively is is possible to export just a selected section of a model?
thanks

Hi emu, i try to work with your script again and it seams 2.61 break your script.
I download 2.60a and it is working as usual.

May you have a look at it?
Thanks, mib.

All edges marked as seams will be cut, and possibly some more, if needed. Doesn’t that really work?

The only way to export a portion of the model is to manually remove the rest before exporting.

That’s a bit weird o_O I’ve just downloaded the latest version from repository (which calls itself 2.60.6, r42325) and everything seems to work.
When it fails, does it print any error message?

By the way, do you have the latest version of the script? I’m not sure if it matters in this case, but it might.