Export to .blend

It’s been a while since I’ve made a new Blender add-on that I can share with folks. But I have one now!

Introducing the Export to .blend add-on!

image.

This is a little add-on that lets you export objects, collections, and nodes to their own separate .blend file… with a few cool bonus features like bundling your selection into a collection (or node group) when exporting and “backlinking” your export so you replace the selection in your current file with a linked library reference to the stuff you just exported.

Release notes and the add-on itself are available at the link above.

Have fun!

14 Likes

very handy… thank you

definitely useful, i’ve always thought this type of functionality should be built into native blender- would have come in handy on more than one occasion for sure!

1 Like

great ,like 3dmax ''save select as 3ds ‘’ command

Found a great addon that exports .blend. It does everything I need…but sadly not working for me in Blender 3.1. @cgcookie @Fweeb
When I select ‘Export selected’ it looks like it export ok, but the file is huge and all files are hidden within the .blend file. Please could I ask a fix for Blender 3.1+ Thanks so much.

https://orangeturbine.com/posts/export-to-blend-add-on

Hmm… and why don’t ask the guys on orangeturbine directly via their contact page??

@Okidoki The guys are active here and the contact page is for enquiries for paid work not addon fixes. I see blenderartist being used for communication between the developer and user and thought its the correct thing to do. I will contact them directly, thanks.

I was wondering why not ask directly (as you already added a @ ) via PM but instead start a new thread or search here and find:

Also the Orangeturbine contact page says nothing about that as far as i can see. And if you are interessted to pay for this it’s only fair to ask (the devs) if it works with your setup.

1 Like

I understand, I asked the moderators to delete this thread as I had not see the original by Fweeb. Thanks for the link. I take your point regarding PM them. I would be happy to purchase the addon, I hope it can be updated soon. @Okidoki I appreciate your help.

You’re welcome.

Heya @dex001. I’ll have a look at the add-on and see what needs to be updated for Blender 3.1. The new release came about faster than I was expecting. :slight_smile:

In the future, the preferred approach would be to create an issue on the add-on’s GitHub page. That makes it easier to track, give more direct feedback, and notify when it’s fixed.

1 Like

@Fweeb Thanks very much for creating such a useful addon and responding to my issue. Fingers crossed its an easy fix.
I’m happy to pay for the addon if you add it to Gumroad or Blendermarket.
I will feedback on Github. Cheers :+1:

1 Like

Alrighty! It turns out that this was a relatively simple fix. One line of code, really. :smiley:

You can get the updated (v1.1) version of the add-on at the link in the original post or over at GitHub, whichever you prefer.

2 Likes