Exporting .glb - overlapping objects/textures?

Hi,

I’m new to Blender. I’ve been modelling a university project on C4D and have been requested to export some objects as .glb. They are essentially made up of translucent boxes containing planes with applied images as texture.

I exported the C4D file as an .obj file to import into Blender; I joined the meshes; under Shader, I switched the colour to Non-colour, rather than sRGB for the planes; and created a translucent material for the box; blend space was set to Alpha blend. When exporting, I ticked UVs and Materials, under Textures I chose .jpg, as if I set it to Automatic the file jumps up quite a bit in size. Then, when I upload the exported file online, it looks fine at first but when you turn it around, one of the planes overlaps the other, instead of remaining behind the second one; in the screenshot here, the object which appears at the front should essentially be at the back. The meshes aren’t overlapping. Do let me know if you’d like me to upload the actual file, as I’m unable to attach more than one image per post. Could this be related to UV mapping? I don’t feel confident with the process in general and am not very familiar with its workings in Blender.

I would really appreciate your help! Thank you!

That’s hard to tell, you may have choosen a better image area or even stich some images together. And considering files: there are multiple applications involved… did you tried to reimport the glb-file into blender?

I’ve just tried re-importing the .glb file back into Blender. Same thing happens with the objects overlapping.

I went back and changed the colour-space of the planes’ textures to Linear, and re-imported the .glb file. Now, there are only certain angles under which you can see both planes, but as you move around, one of them disappears.

Would it be alright to share my .blender file? Thank you!

Well i gave some hints for debugging and for example it’s not quite clear what this is supposed to look (in C4D for example… why using it when it doesn’t export the wanted files ? going over different software is… complicated) and now i see you didn’t wrote if the model looks okay in blender itself.

I’m in my final year of uni and it just so happened that I learned how to use C4D, instead of Blender. Because of lockdown, our showcase is now being presented digitally - hence why we’ve been requested to export .glb files. I’m struggling to export translucency in .glb format from C4D.

I’m reading your previous message as possible reasons why the texture isn’t exporting correctly - not how to fix it. I’m not receiving any support for this from my course and that’s why I’m reaching out here to the community. I’d appreciate any advice on what to watch out for when exporting-importing between the 2 pieces of software; or perhaps, when setting up the material in Blender?!

Look at my first answer: You have to tell more precisly or show what you have in C4D, what you did in Blender, what you get and maybe drawing some images to show what’s the problem. Because IDK how much users in the community use C4D besides blender and have used glb. IF you only share your blend-file idk what we are expected to see. In both images i just say: What???

They are essentially made up of translucent boxes containing planes with applied images as texture.

This does tell me … nothing. Why planes in boxes… I don’t understand what you wanna accomplish.
Anyone else ???

@Jinxewy
The best would be to post the blend file.And post the material setup/screen of each material in C4D used.And a screenshot of the Object/scene rendered in C4D for comparison.
And post the glb export/import settings.

here a Blender doc about glb import/export
https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/2.80/addons/io_scene_gltf2.html