Exporting raw images from blender

Hello, everyone. My question is:

Can you export raw images from blender and then edit them in camera raw Photoshop ? ( similarly to how you would edit a .nef file )

1 Like

Yes. Render it into an uncompressed format. I’m not sure if it will behave the same way as real camera data though.

No. Not in the true meaning of camera raw. But you can export the raw render data and do what you like with it in Photoshop or any other app that can read exr files.

How do you export raw render data to be used in Photoshop?

I have been researching this same question also, what output format equals a raw camera format?
The only format setting I can figure out is:
File Format>Open Exr
Color>RGB/RGBA(if alpha channel needed)
Color Depth>Float(Full)…32bit
Codec>None

It would be helpful if anyone who is knowledgeable about this, if the above setting are correct for high end editing in Affinity Photo/Photoshop where high bit rate images are best to use.
Thanks for any guidance on this.

32bit Full Exr can hold “linear” images. Make sure that your images are not post processed prior to saving.

1 Like

Hello kkar,
Thanks so much for the help on this. Researching “Linear Images” was a big help in understanding this process.
Can I safely assume that the “Codec” setting to “None” is the correct choice? I.E. use no compression?
Also, is using “Open Exr” over the “Open Exr Multi Layer” the better choice?
I just want to be sure that I am understanding my choices correctly.
Thanks again for help.

Edit: One more question, outputting to this setting, does make the image an ACTUAL raw camera output, or just mimic/fake it?

Yes “raw images” are called “linear images” in this part of the world, because no color/gamma transformaitons applied on those.

You can use compression, I think most are lossless like the zip one. Multi layer is for saving many render passes in one EXR.

1 Like

If by “raw camera output” you mean the same data that comes from a raw file that a dslr for exmple creates, neither is completely true (or false), but they are similar in principle. Both exr and camera raw formats store the maximum ammount of data, and require post processing to become a “proper” useable image, but the formats are handled differently by software. For example, you can’t process exr files in the same applications that you would process camera raw files (like lightroom, camera raw, dxo photolab, captureone, etc.), so a camera’s raw file and an exr file are not interchangeable.
And regarding OpenEXR vs OpenEXR Multilayer: The multilayer option is just for when you need to save multiple passes of your image, as opposed to just the normal render itself, which is mostly used for compositing and allows for things like color, reflectivity, shadows, etc. to be altered after rendering independently of each other. (So the multilayer option basically saves multiple images in one file.)

1 Like

Thanks so much kkar and greenorangejuice for your much needed information and support on the output format questions.
I bought Affinity Photo to replace photoshop about a year ago, been wanting to do some high end editing/EFX on my renders(re-renders), decided it’s time to get going on this finally.
Thanks again.

Just you know, you can use Blender for editing your 32bit photos as well in the compositing nodes mode. It will be along the lineas of Lightroom (or better), meaning it is non-destructive. Look up for some tuts.

1 Like

Oh wow, thanks for the tip, did not know that.
I work mostly in content creation, but decided in 2019, I would work in other areas, one being, learning the compositing area in blender.
Gives me a reason to move on this front quicker to explore those nodes you speak of.

Affinity Photo also does non_destructive editing also, just one of the many reasons for purchasing it.

Thanks again for the tip kkar.

Compositing nodes might look bare (number of nodes) at first but it is very capable, and you get to combine your renders with your photos right there.

Meanwhile Blender is also a video editor that can also use existing scenes as clips :slight_smile:

Hello kkar,
I am defiantly going to look into this to see what kind of nodes are present for high end, linear image editing, compared to Affinity Photo.
For instance, what about “Frequency Separation” editing, just as an example.
In photoshop, it’s a convoluted process, in Affinity Photo, it’s a short filter process.
Have to see if blender is up to this. If not, no gripes to blender, totally understand.
Thus the reason for AF purchase.

As I said, 2019 will be a year to get out of my box, so to speak, and work with new things, photo realistic product/architectural content.
And python code, mostly to work with audio visualizations in blender(real time). Don’t know if it will work quite yet, but have an concept now that 2.8 is here.

I’ll be checking out the compositing in blender this weekend, see what it has to offer.
Thanks for the support.

Yeah lets us know how you like Blender and how Blender treats you.

Yes, here are the configs