Exporting textures for external use?

Hi there.

I may get some of the terminology wrong as I’m not used to this, but here we go!

I’m modelling for game assets, I don’t want bitmapped textures, the blender created materials are perfect. The engine I’m importing to doesn’t understand a lot of the blender textures embedded in the exported fbx files, but as I understand it I can present Material shaders. Or I could if I could get a file out of Blender.

There doesn’t seem to be any options on the fbx export to send materials to external files. Can this be done? (That’s possibly the most clumsy sentence I’ve ever written!

Many thanks.

Nope, IIUC different programs do procedural textures differently enough that compatability’s unlikely (although if you said what game engine you’re exporting for somebody might know otherwise). Your best bet is to bake your perfect Blender textures to bitmap images, pretty much everything can use those.

Ahh, ok. So it’s down to learning the capabilities of the engine, not blender. Gotcha.

I did think of making the textures, but I’m trying to keep gpu in the external engine as low as possible, but it might be well worth a go.

Many thanks.

Using bitmaps is probably what is going to be most optimized. Even in Cycles (Eevee can’t even cope) complex node trees possibly with heavy detail generators (even AO and bevel nodes) can cripple a render so much it might be wise to bake out even there.

I’ve had some time to play about with this finally, and, I’ve decided I have no idea what I’m doing!!

Could some kind person please link me a tutorial or thread explaining the process? I might be missing something simple, everything is in a different place now.