Extrude face along Curve with Geometry Nodes?

Anyone know how to use Geometry nodes to select a face of a mesh and select a curve path to extrude face on path? Similar to this https://d3a2gvihmbqfjo.cloudfront.net/06/063d7472fa10414584746976f48cbc3e/063d7472fa10414584746976f48cbc3e.jpg

Have a look here.

1 Like

This is an awesome thread! Sadly it doesn’t have what I’m looking for. There should be a way to use Geo nodes to create a curve from the center of a mesh face with the endpoint multiplied by the face normal and then extrude that face along that curve.

A use case I need it for is to create octopus tentacles and have a curve respond to wind forces while attached to a selected extruded mesh face. I know this is typically done with rigging but I also want to control the mesh face extrude with a curve path from the mesh face normal.

Good luck.

1 Like

These are great and I’ve watched all. However, still looking for extrude edge or face by following a pre made curve. This feature would make it possible to procedurally model all sorts of organic objects.

1 Like

If you just want to add thickness to a curve, that’s what tapering is for, right? Or the skin modifier, or really any number of options

1 Like

Thanks Joseph! That is a compromise scenario but this is a clear video of what I’m suggesting would be great to do with Geometry nodes - https://youtu.be/EyacjjomRSo

K, so, I’ve managed what was in that video, and it was a mission…

… it’s very iffy and you need to do a lot of pre-snapping of the curve… but it works. Problem is that you can only do one curve per vertex-group, which makes it pretty useless to make a creature because it would entail a ton of work to make a bunch of tentacles.

Are you sure you would not rather just make a curve-profile and then Boolean it into the base-mesh? So, more like a hair-sim vibe… That sounds to me like it would be less hassle. :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

Excellent job — Yes, in the case of a tentacle for an octopus that would be an easier way. I’m looking to procedurally model and animate a complex creature that also has tentacles growing out of tentacles sort of like an L system tree. This solution you have is getting close. Can you post the blend file? Perhaps I and others can add to it.

Making this functionality work would bring a critical extrude method found in other softwares to Blender. It’s worth making it better!

Best,