Eyes on You! - Art challenge

Last week I got inspired by a few different art challenges I’ve seen around YT, and since I haven’t really seen people do this in the 3D field, I decided to do one on my own.
I gave myself 3 instances to create the same scene with different time limits - 30 minutes, 1 hour, and 24 hours.

I started with the least amount of time - the half an hour limit:

If you’re thinking it looks like shit, then you’re absolutely right! But this is all I could come up with in the short amount of time I had. (The building are from Kitbash3D, otherwise it all would’ve been just some cubes).

Right after this one I moved on to the 1h time limit. I made a completely new scene and started doing the same thing, only this time I had double the time:

At this point, after the one hour mark, I could say it started to look like something. It’s still way off of what it should be, but it looks good enough to pass as an early prototype. I could say this level of quality would be something I’d do to showcase ideas to a client.

Once I was done with the 1h render, I gave myself 24 hours to come up with the best I could in that time frame. Obviously I didn’t work on the final render for 24h in total, it was just that my deadline was set for 24h. In reality, between sleeping and other things, I believe I worked on this final piece for about 10 hours or so:

Now this one… this one I like! I feel like I managed to capture a nice atmosphere that gives out a certain feeling while seeing the image. Personally, it kind of makes me think of Gotham for one reason or another.

Let me know which one do you think is best - the 30 minute one, the one hour one, or the 24h one? :laughing: :laughing:

35 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Thank you, Bart!

1 Like

You’re on the #featured row! :+1:

1 Like

:scream:

wow !!!
creating models, textures, shaders, unwrapping, and maybe geonodes in 1h !!!
Is kinda insane ! You’re a machine @radumitroi ! :smiley:

Congratz and thanks for this 10 hours jewel ! :slight_smile:

And happy blending !

1 Like

Thanks, that’s amazing!

1 Like

Well, I’m definitely not a machine considering all of that :laughing:. I’m sorry if this was misleading, but I haven’t made those things from scratch.

I definitely wouldn’t have been able to make those things in under 24 hours if I didn’t have the help of Kitbash (for the buildings) and Blenderkit (for some of those assets you see in the 2nd and 3rd renders).
I modeled & textured some of the things in there, sure, but I definitely don’t deserve all that credit you just gave to me :smiley:.

I would say this was more of a Level Design work for me - building an environment through what I had available.

If I were to make that final render all by myself - meaning not using any assets whatsoever - I would say this environment would be closer to 2 weeks of work from myself. Considering the final output would be a still image where not every model needs to be perfectly modeled & textured and only looks good from certain angles.
If this was a video game environment (since this is more my thing) and the player would have access to walk all over that street and all the models needed to look great from all the angles & distances, then that would’ve been at least 1.5 months of work from me personally.

2 Likes

This is a ghost town, the streets are empty, no passengers in a the bus, considering the distance, image scans would have taken care of that.

1 Like

Yeah, I totally agree with you.