F-101 Voodoo

wow, this looks amazing as usual with your work. Unsurprising of course. :smiley:

Very cool. I did a lot of modeling on a GE F110 engine and afterburner. Now I have my hands full with a Curtiss Wright R-1820.

1 Like

Love all the details you’ve packed into this one, all the vents etc. Very well researched and great modelling job.

Thanks all for the kind words and encouragement.

@unskilled: The GE F110 is much more complex than the PW J57-P55 I’m making. I’m glad the exhaust nozzles on this engine are simple. I would hate to rig and model one of the newer engines. I’m sure your engines were/are awesome.

Mark ,did you mode this fighter with cross sections?

This looks amazing!

1 Like

I’ve had the good fortune to have a really good set of drawings that include cross sections of the fuselage and wings. The person I’m working with on this project has created excellent drawings based on blueprints and photographs.

yes good drawings to model something is the key to good mesh .
Thank you mark.

1 Like

Started working on the front cockpit. There are probably some small mistakes here, but I think most of it is nailed down.

Also some YouTube links for tutorials associated with my F-101 project:

9 Likes

Instrument panel illumination.

Test/demo video:

Tutorial:

6 Likes

Weber ejection seat…

12 Likes

This is looking really good, great work on the cockpit.

With your instrument faces, do you use photographs or draw them up in illustrator ?

I draw them in Blender…

2 Likes

Flaps rigged

4 Likes

Good news! Earl Chapman (the creator of the drawings I’m using for this project) has agreed to make the drawings public so others can use them if they like. These are excellent drawings developed from original blueprints.

7 Likes

Them plans, and your renders, are both fantastic!

2 Likes

Progress on the pilot…

11 Likes

Really nicely done. Clothing textures work well. No part of that is particularly easy.

It’s also really interesting to see this ejector seat compared more modern ones like ACES.

3 Likes

I think the cockpits are finally done…

Virtual views of cockpits:

8 Likes

Really nice. The glare shields look great. I find those to be something that can be a challenge but look great when done well.

Is that a relief horn for the RIO?

1 Like