Face problem on airpods mesh attempt

Hey, so these days I’ve been trying to model the AirPods, and as its shape is difficult it’s taking me a lot of time and attempts as I get a lot of imperfections.
Where am I at is this:
This is the mesh:

This is the mesh in solid mode:

As you can see it has defined circles that I don’t know how to perfect more as I see them nice with the X-Rays.

All I want is to have that smooth shape that the device has, the details of the speaker chamber, etc I know how to do them.

Thanks in advance.

It is these edges that are causing the problem, you could try disolving them and then adding two new loop cuts in their place to even out the geometry a little.

Also you could set view to side and then extrude, move and rotate to build the curved shape required, like so…

Actually, I see no reason to be a problem there. You just have your normals angle in autosmooth set to a lower number than you need it to be.

Te geometry is not perfect but there is no reason to think it is a real problem. You can also use a subdivision surface increasing the crease value of the edges you want to preserve sharp and it will me just fine too.

1 Like

Or you can use the spin tool in the extrude context. (ALT + E)

1 Like

Thanks! I just simplified it and here’s the result:

The mesh:

The mesh without wireframe:

As Rodrigo said I forgot I had auto smooth turned on so now it looks more smooth while still having imperfections. How can I polish it?

You were right about the auto smooth in normals that I forgot I had turned on.
This is what happens if I aply the subdivision surface modifier

It smooths it nice but look at the bottom part, I don’t know why it makes that tip.

You forgot to select the edge loops you want to preserve and increase the crease value for them.

Select them and press SHIFT + E and set 1 for them.

1 Like

Subdivision surf without the crease:

Same Subdivision surf with the crease:

You can set lower crease values for edges you want to have less influence of the subdivision.

1 Like

Wow, I did not forgot because I didn’t know the existence of this command actually, thanks for it.
By doing it, it looks like this:

Would these shrinks go away if I would’ve set the divisions of the main circle to a higher level or is it possible to solve?

You can delete the center vertex and select the edge loop around it and extrude in the same position it is and scale it down until you fave just a small circle at the middle, then you create a faze for that, if you decide to.

But if you use autosmooth with the subdivision surface modifier you will not have those problems.

Yes, actually I was thinking to turn on autosmooth to see how it would end up looking (which is fine for me), but I tried to do what you’ve mentioned:
“You can delete the center vertex and select the edge loop around it and extrude in the same position it is and scale it down until you fave just a small circle at the middle, then you create a faze for that, if you decide to.”

But I don’t have a center vertex on this bottom part, it’s just the center of the object, but can I do it tho?

Also, what do you mean by faze?

I just wrote face wrong.
Is that a face that you have at the bottom? A ngon?

So, you can select this face and make an insect: press I. An i, not an L.

Ahh okay! Yes I think it is, because I started with a circle filled its face and then proceed with all the main shape that you’ve seen.
What’s an ngon? I know it’s basic but I don’t get it :sweat_smile:

Ngon is a polygon with N sides, not just 3 or 4. It can have as many sides as necessary, but it produces some problems in some situations, like this one.

Okay, thanks.
Also last thing, the purple edges are like this because of the edge loops right? Can you make this purple line disappear? Just curious :thinking:

These purple lines indicate that you have a crease value applied to them, Bigger the value more purple they are.

You just can see that in edit mode, so it will not be a problem and it is useful to know they are there.

Anyway, you can disable to see them on the show overlays section:

1 Like

Okay, thanks for all the solutions!

Creased edges are purple, sharp are blue, seams are red.

1 Like