Faceless Void Dota 2 set

I just finished authoring an item collection for Dota 2. I used Blender almost exclusively, except for texturing. You can see the workshop collection here. The character is of course not mine, but the armor and weapon in the set are.
I modeled everything in high rez, before retopo and map baking which i then brought into Substance Designer where i did the texturing. I used blender internal render for the promo shots.

1 Like

Nice work, Muffy, very interesting looking armor and weapon! The colors compliment the character well.

I’ve heard a little about Substance Designer before; is it easy to learn, and would you recommend it? The images on their website look very good.

Thanks James!
I also added blender foundation as a service provider, so if this set makes it into the game, it will generate revenue for blender!

Substance designer is really nice! I recommend it for sure. I picked it up in 2-3 days (but i’m not new to nodal workflows or procedural texturing). Its maybe more technical than 2d or 3d painting, but once you get the hang of it you can work really fast and have a high iteration rate. Its also very non-destructive and its easy to reuse effects youve made on other assets.

That’s really cool! I hope it makes it into the game, you did a great job!

And thanks for your feedback on Substance Designer as well. I looked up some tutorials, and saw they have a sale going on for it as well. I might just pick it up. Thanks again, Muffy!

It nice that games have gotten to the point where you can pack this much detail into it and have it still be responsible.
I like it. maybe a “still life” render with the pieces arranged and no Void?
Be easier to see them that way, especially the staff.