fantasy hallway

I suggest using Cycles or lux.
The last image looks like real time graphics from prince of persia warrior within… And it’s a pretty old game…

Definitely an improvement. Right now I think the ceiling and ceiling supports need some model and texture attention. The ceiling supports look like they are very low res, or like they were supposed to be a semi-circle but ended up being a weird asymmetrical curve. Plus they need a more realistic texture than just the “default grey” look they have now. Lastly the columns on the right I can clearly see the individual faces as though you perhaps forgot to “set smooth.” Unless you wanted them to have a moulded look, but in that case I would find some references of actual stone columns to make them more realistic.

:slight_smile:

I think the HDRI version looks better but the bricks in the archway and ceiling definitely need some work though. Archway bricks aren’t ever organised like that as it is structurally unsound. Plus you can clearly see that the archway bricks are just a texture slapped onto the open face since the bricks change from horizontal to vertical in the space of one pixel. [edit] Hastily edited pic added to show what I mean

If you do an image search for brick archway or brick ceiling you’ll get some ideas of how to set this out. Excellent progress though, keep up the good work.

Attachments

Now you should take advantage of the vastly improved image texture filtering options in Blender 2.5 if you haven’t already (the EWA filter for example should give much much sharper textures than the default one).

And remember my point about pre-multiplying the alpha in the compositor if you haven’t done so yet.

You must use some more lights to compensate the light in hallway. Luxrender will not solve this. In real life the briks etc etc hit the walls. So if you setup the lighting wrrong without thinking about that you end with this kinda of result.

Modeling ok, but the lighting is off.

Use compositor nodes for gamma correction …some texture parts look like “painted” rather briks.

Okay, the ceiling is completely redone, so is not going to collapse any minute. Textures still need some work and for the lighting, I will look in to it.
As for the reason that I didn’t use other rendering engine is because I want to see if BI can render something that are just as good.

update: lighting correction and texture fixed (sort of…)

Attachments

those might be the final finish images…

Attachments

You might want to reconsider the ceiling texture… it has that computer-generated look and detracts from the overall realism. Also, the “feet” on the left-hand wall seem less detailed than the rest of the scene. It is looking pretty good overall though; nice work!

The ceiling texture changed and the wall texture making it sharper

I can’t really tell what the ceiling is meant to be. Brick, wood? The bricks in the archways and the “end caps” on the left hand side also need their textures rotated from vertical to horizontal.

I agree to an extent about the ceiling, the fuzziness of the texture (probably from the resolution) makes it look like someone painted the ceiling which would otherwise be a basic color.

Right now I would create a texture that would either be higher resolution or scaled down a bit and then apply a bump to it (though not too much as then it would be very noticeable that it is a shading trick).

I like the nice, vivid colors you had from the beginning through 10 Jun, especially the end-of-hallway-glow in the immediately pre-HDRI better than the (almost) flat white current one. The blueness of the bottom right in that pre-HDRI render was also really nice, especially in contrast with the red/orangeish end-of-hallway-glow. I also think that being able to clearly see that the doorways are there, but not really being able to see what’s outside (like the 7 Jun upload) creates an aura/feeling of mystery that intrigues the viewer, making them keep looking deeper (and, if it’s a video/series of stills, keep watching/coming back). Lastly, I also really like the stained glass ceiling you had between 12 and 15 Jun, and the wall material/texture (pattern?) in the renders between 24 May and 11 Jun.

fanntastic toon effect that looks like something u would see in a movie

Those are pretty good work out.

Thanks for the reply, but this project is mostly done for me. The final image is most likely the one with the color ceiling Maybe I will come back to it in the future tho… definitely still needs some work

haha on the first render im like “oh this is okay” i scroll down some and i get intrigued “huh i didn’t expect this” and on the second page my mind shat a brick. great work!
wade

I do prefer the colour pallete from the original images. it held alot more intrigue and mystery. but all in all you are making great progress

Dont rely so much on bloom, rather add more at the end of the corridor… I’m getting those vibes from Oblivion where the bloom was just everywhere…