Fantasy Museum

Thumbnail

A fantasy museum that was inspired by a dream I had years ago. I was outside of a great white mansion with a grand garden in front of it. A massive circular stream of water covered a portion of the sky in the distance. Making my way inside, I walked through corridors with fountains along the walls, spouting water from one end to the other, before eventually reaching a set of large double doors. Opening it, this was the scene that captivated me.

It was the reason I started learning Blender and 3D design, wanting to re-create that moment, among many, for others to see. However, I was simply not good enough back then, unsatisfied with the result each time I attempted this scene in the past.

Keeping these attempts over the years and uploading it here as well, I remind myself the improvements I have made.

full image here

Post processing Done in Photoshop.

Final Render

Building only Render

2019 Attempt

2016 Attempt

17 Likes

You’ve done a fantastic job giving this a dreamy atmosphere and feel, nice work! Did you do any paintover or was this all Blender?

Thank you! It was mostly made in Blender, with color adjustments and dust/water particles added in Photoshop.

1 Like

Honestly, I’m not sure if there is anything to critique here.

In most scenes, I would have said that the lens flare and chromatic aberration are too intense, but if this is a dream scene, this is actually fine.

The dust effects may look better if they were actually 3D (the grains of dust close to the camera would be out of focus). Right now, it looks more like a physical, printed photo with dust on it. This is not necessarily wrong, but I’m just wondering if that’s actually what you were going for.

Good job overall!

1 Like

Thank you for the feedback. You’re absolutely correct. While it was a scene from my dream, I was trying to make it as photorealistic as I could so I probably should tone down the flare/chromatic aberration. I also didn’t consider the grains of dust and water droplets being out of focus and had just added them in via post process.

Thanks for the input!

1 Like

Really cool ! I guess we had inter-connected dream, it odly reminds me of the last pic I posted xD

Great modeling on your last one, we can clearly see you improved a lot. I agree with etn249. I dont think the abberation and lens flare are too much. The only thing I think would make it POP is adding dreamy colors. Its just my taste I guess, but some nice colors on the museum would really make the giant water bubble pop in my opinion, because rn I think they fight a bit for a place in the image, instead of working together.
Marvelous work anyway ! Great job.

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

Thank you! :+1:

1 Like

You’re on the #featured row! :+1: