Faux reflections

I put this scene together in Blender 4, rendering was done with Cycles.

The dry reeds have been scattered over the small sand bank with the help of Geometry Nodes.
To create even more variations, I duplicated a few of the reeds and removed some parts like leaves or blossoms.
The reed remainders also were derived from the original reed models and then scattered along a curve, together with some dirt floating on the water.

I basically reused the setup for the birds. I didn´t find a way to access and modify the animation of the bird within Geometry nodes. So I created a few duplicates with different time offset.
If anyone knows how to do that directly in geo nodes, please let me know!

All models and textures self made, reed grasses are available on my Patreon.

11 Likes

I really like this, it’s a beautiful scene.

If I could offer one tiny suggestion, it would be that the (lower-left) foreground reeds are too sparse, and without enough variation. The straight-lines and single-bend reed samples are repeated too regularly, combined with the reflection, these cause my pareidolia to try to see not faces but letters: a lot of C’s I’s L’s and D’s or Triangles… my subconscious keeps trying to “read the hidden message”.

The composition and misty mood are fabulous. This would look great over a couch. :smiley:

1 Like

valid points!
I wanted the foreground reed to be that sparse - they are basically the faux reflection of the birds. But there should be more variations of shapes at last.

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

thank you!

1 Like