[feature] Modeling & sculpting in VR

As some one who has used Tilt Brush I can say that this will be the way forward in the next few years for sculpting and to a degree art creation in general. It makes the overall creation of models effortless in terms of navigation of 3D Models.

Why I say this -

Navigation -

• Imagine not having to use the keyboard to control your camera but just walking around the model you made. To Inspect your model you just move your head towards and around the model.
  • Instead of sculpting your model with a mouse or Tablet. You put on your HMD and just sculpt with your motion controllers.
  • If you want to inspect something small you just pick it up.

Keep in mind that the above methods of navigation do not require any training we have been doing these most of our lives if not our entire lives. Some times we do it and we do not realize it.

Blender would benefit so much from adding a VR mode with modeling capabilities.

This is a program for the Vive called VRTX and it is developing in a really good way imo.
I tried the beta and it just feels awesome. There’s quite some room for more features and other improvements and the UI is still changing a lot(which is cool to see “live”). But even now at that early stage it’s a ton of fun. I like that it’s more constructive than the more sculpturistic solutions out there. I think one of the best uses for a program like this is to block out geometry for a VR experience, the impression of the space is so immediate and everything can be changed and tweaked on the fly. Then export the object, import into Blender and do the finer stuff there. With time the tools will get better and better and it will be a super quick and inspiring way to work! :slight_smile:

Oh, and just a thought about the exhaustion mentioned in this thread - we’ve been painting big canvases with enormous and with tiny brushes, sculpting and hammering away and even doing overhead work for centuries. This here is really not that exhausting compared to these activities and probably more healthy than sitting and clicking the mouse all day…

1 Like

Aside from looking like a moron, I think I’d bump into stuff.

Maybe… much too early to tell for sure.
In creative process, many still prefer (also more efficient) to use the analog approach via scanning or photogrammetry to digital. And as project is finished, at least a model is made. From visual artists POV, sketching on a piece of paper first, still is the way to go.

I also thought, a decade ago, that with tablets this techniques and skills will become obsolete, forgotten or at least very rare. Tho the opposite occurred. Nowadays a simple pencil sketch is often times more valuable & appreciated than a digital artwork. Go figure. :slight_smile:

Another problem i see is user being detached from it’s working environment instead of being immersed with the collective, a team.

This also brings another question to mind.
How is, if at all, this covered by health insurance?
If an accident happen while using such apparatus in a professional environment, are employees & clients covered? Any known practice?
From observing elephants stumping in china shops, am just waiting for someone to get seriously hurt. Not to mention if a client or an employee gets seizures. It only takes the right moment and the right ingredients.

Tested has an excellent review of sculpting in VR with Oculus Medium they posted today.

Key points I got from the video

• Was comfortable using the software for 3+ hours taking a break every hour
  • Walking around the model to sculpt is not preferred – default should be to rotate the model with your hands.
  • With the added depth of motion modelling can be done more accurately.
  • Will take practice to perfect the technique.

Sculpting in VR is definitely not a temporary fad that will vanish – it is just beginning.

100% fad

Since when making something harder is better?

Right now it is your brain + minor mucles arm = high volumes of work, vs brain + all major and minor mucles of your body = less work

Future would be removing muscles from this procces, not adding them with no benefit.

This fake vr will come and go

1 Like

It’s not harder once you’ve rebuilt your atrophied arm muscles :wink:

You’ve just described the logical next step – brain control. In the meantime though we need to work on the VR UI for blender which will remain the same regardless of whether you are controlling the motions with your brain or your arms because the perspective will be exactly the same.

Friendly greetings !

I had to register to reply to this thread, i found the reaction funny but it’s kind of sad actually :confused:

I’m a blender user (since 10 year or something), i also own an oculus rift and the touch controllers.
I’m sorry to say that VR is here to stay, it’s not a “toy” like theses horrible “NVidia 3D vision” screen. (i had one …)
It’s backed by the gaming industry and other major industry like google, Facebook (they bought oculus for $2B), Sony, HTC, Samsung, …
Autodesk is working on a VR Maya version.

So i have a few shocking news regarding to VR :

• walking around and waving your arms isn’t harder than being a an electrician, plumber, … or a wood/metal/clay sculptor, oil painter, …
  • You can use your VR while sat, that’s what i do, i don’t use it at room scale.
  • You can use your mouse and, with some practice, your keyboard. (it’s pointless for sculpting but useful for “traditional” modeling)
  • Yes, you have to take a rest from time to time. Not because it’s exhausting (the oculus is really light) but it’s heating and kind of uncomfortable after some time.
  • Sculpting in VR is MUCH EASIER but it’s hard to explain.

I use Autodesk meshmixer to post-process my exported Mesh, the exported mesh are very messy at the current state of VR modeling software and blender can’t handle the high poly count. If blender doesn’t support VR in the future, that’s fine by me, i’ll buy a software that support it.

Now i have a few answer :
“bumping into stuff” : Oculus have a system called “guardian” (HTC vive have one too but i don’t know the name). You define the limits of your “safe space” and your warned when you’re close to the limit, or it can be displayed in your helmet too.
“This fake VR will come and go” : lol (sorry)
“sickness” : it’s called “illusion of self-motion” it’s a known problem with known workaround, with good practice you can have absolutely 0 sickness. The only universal instant sickness generator is low fps.
“head tracking” : it’s perfect, any imperfection would make you instantly sick.
“eye tracking” : useless for modeling.
“will come and go in 2 years” : My FAVORITE ! Because the first oculus was released 3,5 years ago :smiley:

The VR news website i follow on a regular basis : http://uploadvr.com/
They have a very interesting post about how ubisoft managed to make a game where you move fast (see the self motion wikipedia post) but doesn’t induce any sickness : http://uploadvr.com/how-ubisoft-created-eagle-flight-sickness/

hugs
No offense intended.

EDIT : i don’t want a belief debate, i’m sharing my knowledge and experience. If you don’t want resource to be used for VR support in blender that’s perfectly fine. To me, it’s so good that i’m ready to buy a proprietary software if i have to, so i don’t really care.

2 Likes

Regardless of the merits of sculpting in VR, there have been almost no improvements to Blender’s core sculpting, modeling and asset creation tools for years now. All the dev time is being pointlessly sucked up by rendering and vfx stuff. Other than those areas, development is completely dead.

Unless Facebook or Valve decide to donate a couple dozen sets to the BF to be handed out to developers like candy, I doubt anyone will pick up VR support of all things considering the money you have to shell out for an Oculus or Vive before you even start coding.

What modelling tools in blender need to be improved?

I mean

Cycles is lacking behind compared to say vray to the point where people would rather use other software
but

There’s no modelling/animation tool that blender severely lacks.

I mean sure there are a few(Procedural modelling,a real edit mode and a skin wrap modifier would be nice)
but yeah

Just off the top of my head:

• multi object editing
  • ptex and/or udim
  • proper groups (as opposed to lists) / in-context instance editing
  • better manual retopology tools (this should really get a dedicated mode IMO, but just stuff like polystrips would be nice)
  • automatic retopology of some kind (all the cool sculpting apps have it these days)
  • cycles baker improvements: displacement and curvature baking, antialiasing, ridiculous memory use (this stuff effectively forces me to continue to rely on other bakers)
  • transpose brushes for sculpting
  • cursor snapping
  • making texture paint, weight paint and vertex paint work consistently
  • texture paint layers
  • texture compositing
  • geometry normal editing
  • better automatic uv packing
  • uv stacking
  • batch baking

Yes, I know there’s addons for some of these, but every release some of them get broken for some inexplicable reason and so they can’t be relied upon. Pretty much the only improvement on the horizon that will affect me is the new layer management, so at least there’s that.

Just a small update:

My thoughts are that the depth perception and benefit of having two 3d manipulators is no joke. That said, Medium is missing a lot of tools that Blender sculpt mode currently has. I think it’s still a toy but it’s only a tiny hop away from being a powerful tool.

1 Like

This video looks to me senseless, it simple do not use both hands, but it hurts my ears. VR is not there.

I don’t know. I’m thinking that maya is only making the VR thing because they want to be hip or to say they were the first. VR is for gaming and immersion. Not for pin point accuracy.

Just look at the mouse. It’s been here forever. People have tried to replace it but nothing comes close. Keyboards are still the same rectangle as it was 40 years ago. No replacement because precision and muscle memory. Don’t fix what is not broken.

VR is awesome but not for daily work.

AR is awesome too but not for daily work. At least in AR you can see the models in real life and walk around and in the 3d object. And you can do it from anywhere because you only use the phone. If you bring VR googles then you can do the same thing but it’s worse because need VR googles with you, no one does that.

Again. VR = awesome. VR != efficient.

1 Like

So this is a pretty funny visual, but really, you’ve described the life of a physical sculptor. So sure, this wouldn’t be for everyone, but certain artists would benefit.

So I am guessing after all this time the naysayers haven’t bothered to check Oculus Medium 2.0 https://www.oculus.com/medium/ ?

I just tried out Medium. It’s not too bad. I’m not sure if they had it updated either, but since it’s built by oculus, I’m guessing it has a better time updating than some of the games. I tried superhot this time, and it was really fun in VR. That lightsaber beat game also has a really good grasp of controls.

Medium wasn’t too bad. The controls are fine, but you quickly hit walls with limited resolution in their software. The answer might be just go bigger. It doesn’t mesh like Blender does. I think the entire thing is just meshed, it’s not adaptive. And the mesh isn’t good enough for the paint you apply. It looked to be vertex painting, but I’m guessing here.

If you took the controls from medium and put them into blender or similar package, you’d have a great product. You’d also have quite a few artists in better shape. You’ll be standing up, and physically moving around.

I really hope to see this happen soon. I tried a few. Quill was also really nice. Imagine grease pencil in VR.

Google blocks might have afew uses, but it’s mostly garbage. But it’s free. So might as well check it out to see what uses it might have. The google sketching one, can’t remember the name, wasn’t great. It looks really cool, and they did a good job on the interface, but what you can create with it is kind of limiting. I’m not sure how it exports. Everything is ribbon based it seemed.

Anyway, the software is getting there. The interfaces were all great. So they’ve got the interaction down, they just need to plug it into some decent software.

eeeh, have you even bothered to Google what people sculpted in Medium?

For example:

These guys used it in production of their VR game:

It’s definitely not a match for ZBrush yet, but it’s a viable tool.

1 Like

I really just want some form of VR support in blender opposed to a special fork that no longer works.

I have a better idea than VR sculpting. Hologram sculpting. There is a hologram that can respond to touch, and you can feel the hologram. It’s many years away.