Feedback Please:^)

Hello!
I made these renders and I’d like to know your opinion!
My goal is to get the same ilusion as the old masters. Get lost in it:^)

ArtStation - Dawnnie

I can’t post more than 1 image but please, let me know in what aspects I can improve!

Thank you!

Welcome to BA! :confetti_ball:

You’ll get more feedback when the images are actually visible right here.

If you spend about 10 minutes on the site, reading posts, commenting, liking some artwork, your “trust level” will increase to the point where you can post multiple images and short videos.

3 Likes

Ok, thank you!

1 Like

I think the main two issues with your work are the composition and the lack of minor story details, from a technical standpoint its pretty solid apart from a bit of noise in some of the images.

So composition:

As it is now I feel like there’s not allot of thought put into the placement of objects and how they relate to the mood you’re trying to convey. People (most of the time) like artwork because it makes them feel something, rather than the level of technical execution so conveying a mood and a story is really important.

I find that it helps to write a quick sentence about the scene your trying to create in order to help you understand what’s important in you’re scene and what you’re trying to say. For example with your mountain range scene if we were writing a sentence for a book and describing this landscape, then it wouldn’t do to simply say ‘‘there are mountains and a castle’’. Instead you need to tell the viewer what’s interesting about this mountain and castle and how exactly it should make them feel, like: "A huge mountain towers over the landscape, eclipsing a crumbling castle perched upon a hill’'.

Now we have a clear goal of what we’re trying to communicate: our objective is to sell the scale and grandiosity of this mountain, so the placement of our objects, the camera position, the lighting and the color choices will all work together with this goal in mind.

Another key piece of information writing out the sentence gives us is the ‘focal point’. When you’re creating an image there should be one (sometimes two) objects that are your ‘main characters’ and all the rest of the items in the scene are simply there to act as background. In this instance either the mountain or the castle are you’re ‘focal point’ so all the other items should have less ‘visual weight’ than the mountain or castle.

As they are now your castle and your mountains are both off to the sides of the frame or way off in the background covered with fog, making them really low contrast which typically conveys the idea that they’re not important, where as your sky takes up the majority of the frame and is centre stage, implying that the sky is the thing we should be paying attention to.

There are tons of these little subliminal tricks that convey different things to the viewer and it’d be really hard to try and cover all of them in one post so I’ll link to some videos that really helped me and hopefully you can get somethin out of them. I also didn’t get chance to go over the minor story details aspect of the critique so ill just link a video that was a huge game changer for me that covers that topic.

Hope that helps a bit, if you have any questions lemme know :slight_smile:

Composition:

Ill try and post the other videos separately, I’m getting the error: new users are only allowed to post one link :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

This is the video about minor story details:

2 Likes

Moved from Finished Projects to Focused Critiques

1 Like