Female Head Base Mesh

This is pretty basic. I am just trying to practice modeling. I will be working on this more tomorrow so any advice I might be able to incorporate.

Side question: Does anybody know the best program to use for creating characters? It seems like Daz allows for very easily posing characters. On the other hand It does not seem like Daz includes the ability to model and build forms.What do you know about that?

Blender is perfectly fine for creating characters; you can rig and pose things no problem. The learning curve for rigging in Blender is tricky but you’ll have more control in the end.

That said, this base mesh is going to give you a lot of problems moving forward and you may want to just restart before you invest too much more effort into it. The layout of your polygons is really important forhow it will eventually deform, and this applies double if you are planning to use a subdivision modifier.

Generally you want the polygons to “follow” the forms of your model, this creates more efficient geometry usage and prevents strange deformations during posing/animation. It’s a bit hard to describe so take a look at this picture:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]356307[/ATTACH]
Notice how the polygons form a circular ring around the circular ring of the eyes, a line along the jawline, etc.

Second, this model, like most head models not intended for games, has been automatically smoothed afterwards (hence why the polygons’ edges appear bent), this process works best when all the polygons are 4 sided (quads). You’ve got a number of 5 and 6 sides polygons visible on your model, and these will deform or subdivide in unpredictable ways. Try to stick to all quads unless you absolutely have to use something else.

Human heads are some of the hardest things to model so this should be a great experience and good luck on it!

The “Smile Muscle” huh? I call that one the muzzle loop, because when you are working on animal heads, the loops are the same as for a human.

Daz does not allow you to model new things for their characters from within Daz Studio. They sell stuff for you to use on those free characters, and they sell morph kits so you can have many different characters using the same mesh.

Daz clothing and props are made in other 3D programs, and are adjusted to Daz’s incredibly convoluted file system so they work with Daz Studio. The artists who have figured this system out can make some money selling pre-made clothing, hair styles and props through Daz’s online shop. Basically, for Daz, you are a customer, not an artist.

(Just an aside… you seem to be trying to draw the face rather than model it. 2D thinking instead of 3D. Don’t worry, you’ll get the hang of it.)

Welcome to BlenderArtists :smiley:

Wow I’ve posted a few threads already and I’m so amazed by the friendliness of people and willingness to help! Thank you all so much I’m going to have to go through all of what you said and really take a deep look at it.

Also thanks so much for the diagram TidyPachiderm!

Ok so that’s how this one turned out!

I recommend that you research what poles,face loops,and edge loops are then research what good Topology is.
Above TidyPachiderm posted a picture on for good Topology with a nasty pole on the neck :P.
I think what you going to have problem on understanding how to make that kinda of mesh flow.

I recommend that you know all the basics of the modeling tools in blender before you read this
Also these links Might be worth watching for you(they are Paid)

Also there is some tutorials in the modeling section
http://blenderartists.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?29-Modeling

An here is Ancient head modeling timelapse. Look at the face loops he’s making.

I like regular grids, but muscles and really sharp lines count as an argument. Contour … not so much.

I have the problem that I want to model rims and links for my car. Right now I plan to make everything round in order not to distract from technically needed sharp edges. But for an impressive or realistic rendering, I may need more sharp edges. According to my philosophy then I would have change my topology afterwards :frowning:

What is this obsession about female and male models beginners seem to have? Then the experience modelers come along and say they use basically the same topology on animals. Does no one know david bowie or marilyn manson or conshita wurst (or what they are called)?

I think it is something inate. When I first picked up a pencil to begin drawing, I sketched portraits. When you look at little kids drawing, the thing that really gets them going is a chance to draw people. Sure, they’ll draw houses without doorknobs and lollipop trees, but sit them down without a specific assignment, they’ll draw a face. I think the obsession with cars and aircraft comes later.

I think there’s also the assumption (probably a reasonably accurate one) that a realistic human face, especially an accurate likeness of someone, is the hardest organic thing to successfully model, and therefore the best challenge of your modelling abilities. As for why people attempt specifically gendered faces, well, androgyny is kind of the default - making a face model look specifically masculine or feminine generally requires additional understanding and effort.

And to comment on Orinoco’s head specifically, yeah, you should get some basic face loops in place first. Right now all your “polygon strips” travel backwards along the head. You can outline a strong looking face shape with very little geometry if you use it right. The video posted above is really good!

keep going!
i believe you can made it :slight_smile: