Female mesh

Hi there,

A while back, I started on the Joan of Arc tutorial (here). As soon as I completed the first few steps, I got the hang of it and kind of went my own way. I continued modelling off the reference image, but did not follow the tut litterly anymore (as far as that was possible anyway, since it’s a 3dmax tut). There were a few times when deviated from the ref-image, because the proportions seemed odd. So, if you see some bodypart out of proportion, do tell.

Anyway, I thought it would be a good idea to get some input. So, here are some renders:

front
upper body front
rear
head front
head side
back of hand
palm of hand

There are a few things I am unhappy with. For one, the hands and head are not attached perfectly because of a difference in vertices in the parts that had to be attached. I didn’t take that into account while modelling. A good lesson for the next character. I have yet to devise a sollution for this one. Perhaps it won’t even be visible when I’ve applied textures. The feet are also not very good, which is why you don’t get to see them :slight_smile:

I think her upper body is really good. Her heard seems a touch too big and round, although that may just be due to her being bald. Her thighs also seem a little skinny in relation to her calves.

I think her upper body is really good.

Thanks!

Her head seems a touch too big and round, although that may just be due to her being bald.

The head is really strange. I can’t decide whether is too big, too small or just right. I already made it smaller than on the ref-pics. Her baldness is contributing I think. I think when I’ve done her hair, I’ll decide how big the head should be.

Her thighs also seem a little skinny in relation to her calves.

I think you’re right. I’ll put it on the todo-list and check it out.

Update on the thighs:

http://members.home.nl/halfgaar/posts/20040809/women-front.png

I was too lazy to connect the two halves together this time, which explaines the seam.

Someone is using the “Joan of Arc” tutorial, I see. :wink:

Looks good. Exactly like the ref pics, which are a bit exaggerated and toonish in style.

Shoulders could be a littel rounder and wider. The fingers seem to be a bit long too.

BgDM

Looks good. Exactly like the ref pics, which are a bit exaggerated and toonish in style.

The head in the ref-pics was too big in my opinion, so I decreased it in size. The rest is indeed more or less like the ref-pics.

Shoulders could be a littel rounder and wider.

Noted. I’ll post an update soon.

The fingers seem to be a bit long too.

Are you sure? I’ve used my own hand as reference. Imagining my fingers to be shorter, doesn’t exactly make them look more feminine…

I assume you’ve seen these images:

The fingers don’t seem too long to me.

The fingers seem just right to me.

d_m

the fingers look awesome :P.

The fingers seem just right to me.

I did just notice a bit of flatness in the thumb. I tweaked it some more to look a little rounder.

the fingers look awesome

no problem :D. blender rulez. it kicks arse.

halfgaar: I think it was just the camera angle throwing the length off for me. They do look OK in those close ups.

BgDM

BgDM: If you hadn’t seen the closeups yet, did you see the rest of the images, linked to in the startpost?

I think I’m ready to start texturing. I do have some questions.

1. Can I use one texturemap (that is, one for color, one for bumpmapping, etc) for the entire body with decent results? If so, what resolution should I make it?

2. Concerning the eyes (that have yet to be made), what’s more convinient. Making seperate objects of them, or integrating them into the mesh?

halfgaar: Sorry, I guess I missed all the links in the first post.

As for your questions:

1. Use the new LSCM unwrapping feature in 2.34 for UV layout. If you need some help, just ask and I can give you somne guidance. As for the resolution of the texture map, I go as big as I can, (i.e 3000x3000 pixels minimum), but I typically go insane with littled etails thay you won’t see unless I render a closeup. So a respectable 1000x1000 should be fine, if you want basic colur and bump maps.

2. Keep the eyes as seperate objetcs always.

BgDM

I’ve already been experimenting with LSCM. I get the idea of how it works, it’s just a matter of finding out where to put the seams. Well, maybe not such a trivial task, but I’ll find that out when I get there. Anyway, I’ll keep you’re offer in mind, thanks.

BTW, I forgot I wanted to do teeth and the inside of the mouth as well, so texturing will have to wait. Oh, and if the eyes should remain seperate, does that apply for the tongue as well? I would suspect not, because when it’s part of the main body, I can include tongue shaps in RVK’s for lipsyncing.

For the LSCM, you are correct. It is just a matter of finding the best way to place seams. It can be a pain, but take your time.

The tongue can be part of the main mesh. Or, if you have it as a seperate pice, then just parent it to the body mesh. The same with he gums and the teeth.

BgDM

Woow man, especially the hand looks amazing! The total mesh is very pretty too but you should get rid of the seam.

The body is perfect but the feet need more work for my opinion. Could you make a bigger render of the feet?

Super work so far!

Sander

Woow man, especially the hand looks amazing! The total mesh is very pretty too but you should get rid of the seam.

At that time, I was still modelling with a duplicate instance. I was just too lazy to keep stitching the two halves together. The seam will eventually dissappear.

The body is perfect but the feet need more work for my opinion. Could you make a bigger render of the feet?

Hmm, the feet. As I said, I’m not happy with them. I just can’t seem to get nice feet, therefore I decided to let them be, because I don’t feel like tinkering with the feet for who knows how long. I want to get on with the rest.

But, as you requested, defying my own promise of not showing them:

Great job with the modelling :slight_smile: .

For the feet, if your still planning on working on them, I have a few suggestions. widen the ankle a tad and bring the toes closer together. I think the tips of the toes also forms a slight arc rather than a straight line.

Anyways, excellent job, good luck with the texturing.

BgDM, I’m taking you up on your offer for help on LSCM.

Unrwapping the entire body is failing completely for now, so I’m working on the head first. What’s the best approach? Can you unwrap a model like a head in one go, or is it best to unwrap two halves and stitch them together or something similair? I ask because unwrapping half a head goes fine, but when I unwrap the complete head, the result is very odd, with the faces of one side of the head being bigger in the unwrap than those of the other side.

Perhaps I can make a few more modifications afterall. The arc of the toes will be there anyway, when the model is rigged and skinned.