Fenix TK15UE Tactical LED Flashlight

What do you think so far? What else can I do?

I think that this is a very fine “product shot” that certainly makes The Almighty Product™ look impressive! (Always the number-one consideration for any such photography.)

A few random thoughts:

• Maybe the background flashlight should not be behind its vertical companion. Set the aspect-ratio of the image as it needs to be to properly frame the subject without wasted space. (Right now the framing seems good and tight to me – widen it a little.)

• Some kind of “surface for them to sit on” would be nice, probably neutral cloth or photographic background-paper. (And, “a color other than pure-white.”) It’s partly so that the loop hanging from the vertical flashlight has a little something to cast a shadow against. (Right now, although [only …] the horizontal flashlight casts a slight shadow, the vertical one essentially-doesn’t, and the loop, doesn’t.

• The bulb area of the horizontal flashlight is “not quite convincing, yet.” For instance, there’s no bulb/LED. And, really, no translucent texture to show us where the glass is and what it looks like.

• … but the light treatment along the leading edge of the vertical flashlight, I think, works very nicely.

• Certainly, the modeling is such that I immediately accept this to be “a physical object.” It would never occur to my eye – almost … – that this was a 3D fabrication.

I agree with @sundialsvc4. If you’re going for a product shot, this is pretty good as is. But even products aren’t 100% perfect like this is.

• Try adding some subtle glossy variation to everything.
  • The flashlight on the right is hard to tell if there’s a bulb inside, or even a glass cover. Maybe adjust the stage lights to add more shadows in that area to give it more dimensions
  • I think I can see the seams on the left flashlight’s strap texture. Not sure if that’s intentional.
  • If you want, you could have one of the flashlights turned on.

If you’re trying to add a story to these, add some dents, scratches, ware, etc.

Thanks for c&c. I’m thinking about having these flashlights sitting on a wooden log to give a sense of outdoor and adds a story. Some people say details in the background may be too distracting, and just pure plane-backdrop would be better.

Okay that makes sense! In that case, go ahead with a wooden log but change the camera angle to a high angle shot. That way you don’t have to worry about creating a distracting background since it won’t be in the shot. Put some camping/hunting equipment on the log like rope or a backpack partially out of frame, you don’t need much.

I’m having a hard time to create bark of a tree’s trunk. I’m trying to create it similar to the image below. Is there a tutorial? Any tips?