Ferula

HI! this is my first attempt to create an “organic/handpainted” effect using blender.

I tried to build everything as procedurally as possible, using geometry nodes. Many elements, like the growing plant, are created completely from scratch. For other elements (such as the sprite and the mushrooms) I only modeled a basic structure, extremely lowpoly, then modified again with geometry nodes.

The watercolor effect was created using Eevee and its “shader to RGB” node.
In a nutshell, I used the information from a diffuse shader (illuminated by a sun lamp) and reworked it with different noise texture layers.

For the outline I used grease pencil instead.

There are a lots of imperfections and ingenuity (a lot of intersections for example) but overall I am pretty proud of what came out.

Hope you like it! :slight_smile:

15 Likes

Beautiful work :slight_smile:

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Thank you so much!! I really apprecciate that :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is amazing thank you so much for sharing. I would love to learn more about your watercolor shading. Did you handpaint any of this piece?

1 Like

I have painted only two textures, both for the sprite. The first one is for the dot pattern on its body and the other one is for its face. Other than that, everything is procedural, both geometry and shading.

As I have said, the base material that i have used for everything is basically a common diffuse shader distorted with some layers of noise. This was then edited according to the needs (for example i added a voronoi to the mix for the rocks).

I also have to admit that much of the effect is made possible by the compositing stage (basically noise again).

I wanted to better understand how vectors and distortions work, and how to apply those principles to create something apparently organic.

Also, I can’t really paint hahah

Even the shading on the plant is procedural, made by transfering a lot of values from the geometry nodes.

I tried to simplify the explanation as much as possible. If you have any specific questions I will be happy to answer :))